Demonbane summer 2010 release

I don’t think you will. ^^;;;;

A R’lyehian to English translator exists? Wow. :o

Ah, that was it. I am new to this Cthullu stuff.

I don’t think anyone has commented on it yet - when I look at the log for when I clicked too fast or just want to refresh on what happened it seems the text issue for that wasn’t fixed. I don’t know the correct terms for it, it is when you type a word and there is no space so it goes “bl-” then the next line is “ah” in an example using blah.

one good thing about the anime is the subbers but Cthullu mythos info at the end of each chapter

Actually, no, or rather, it wouldn’t be correct to reduce its definition to that. “Lolicon” would cover pedophilia, hebephilia and ephebophilia. Applied to Azifu~, it’s rather the two last definitions than the first one, Azifu~ being possibly be seen as part of either last two groups, depending on whom you ask.

Mg’na! C’gnaiih-ah hai’ep!

That joke was completely ruined. I think the wording as it is made it much worse.

Should I read some Lovecraft stuff? I knew it was moderately popular, but seeing people type it makes me think it is too good. I did want to read some before playing the game. I just didn’t have the time to.

I’d not even go that far. I’d say for clearly Japanese settings, ie modern-day/historical/alternate timeline primarily in Japan(ese territory). For those that are fantasy/sci-fi that still strongly connect to Japan, I could go with that.

However, for those where the setting is deliberately not set in something that clearly has Japanese overtones I cannot agree; everything will have a Japanese undertone to it unless its a period/geographic piece (sometimes) because the people who made are Japanese. The same is true for stuff made in America, Britian, etc. The difference with those is that they are set in some alternate reality that doesn’t follow the culture of Japan or anywhere else, so I cannot see why then those should be hammered into that such reality is Japanese-centric anymore than I’d expect a Japanese translation of Oblivion to US-centric in its overtones (again undertones are something that should be expected).

http://twitpic.com/2v9wm3
http://twitpic.com/2va1ot

That said, I guess I’ll pick up a copy at Anime Expo. Thanks to my trip to Japan, I now have a huge backlog…

The Cogwheel Country series (Sharin no Kuni) stresses the fact that the story does not take place in Japan. Despite that, honorifics are peppered over the English fan translation like full bottles of chili powder on an Italian poutine w/ bacon (there’s no reason to do it, but someone thought the dish needed a lot more flavor than was already there). On top of that, accurate romanizations of each of the heroines’ names are given in the opening, but the fan translators decided to do things their own way, changing “Touka Ohne” to “Oone Touka” (“Oune” might have been justified, but “Oone”?). Compare with, say, The Devil on G-String (G-Senjou no Maou) by the same developers; the translation is somewhat more liberal despite the Japanese setting, yet it’s far better off for it (Eiichi’s two-faced nature just shines in the English script).

Whoops. I’m going off topic…

Precisely. The arrogance of one who does not understand versus the humility of one who does, which makes it all the harder to get the former to recognize where they’re mistaken.

Personally, I think they should have sent you the first copy :X You do seem like the ultimate not-a-fan of Azif…u
Hope she lands near a mail box near you!

EDIT: bbtw I ran into a problem with one of the movies… In chapter 3. I am using ffdshow to playback my movies.
About half-way through the movie the video freezes, but audio continues until it is finished. Same spot everytime…

I was able to fix it by opening up the movie file Demonbane USA\dx\mv_summon3.ngs with virtualdub and re-encoded it with another codec. (Runs now without any problem! I used a lossless techsmith codec so it wouldn’t lose any quality.)

I guess I’m the only one with that issue?

Sharin no Kuni does not take place in Japan, indeed, and the game does stress this for a reason - because the unnamed country is one that’s supposed to be very similar. If you accept Lavender no Shoujo as a canonical story in the series, you get to see a lot more of the country and how in many attributes it’s much closer to Japan than you think. Sharin no Kuni’s country setting probably didn’t help if your main familiarity with Japan is urban Tokyo. The people of the universe are speaking Japanese, not a foreign language that is translated to Japanese for the benefit of the reader.

While I’m not going to comment on the wisdom of including honorifics as I’ve made my feelings clear earlier on in this thread, I think that if there’s any reason to use honorifics throughout a story for any eroge, it’s reasonable enough to use them in a translation of Sharin no Kuni. There’s nothing about it specifically that would make honorifics inappropriate that wouldn’t make them inappropriate in, say, Clannad.

Accurate? Any correct romanisation (note “correct”- see later; your suggested romanisation of her name is not correct) of a Japanese name is as good as any other romanisation as long as you maintain a consistent approach. As you are rendering a Japanese name into English, you choose the romanisation. You may prefer, stylistically, a translator to use the given romanisation but there is nothing wrong about it.

Wrong.

It’s almost funny, because G-Senjou no Maou is just as dystopian as Sharin no Kuni is in many respects despite being set in Japan rather than a made-up country with an unusual system of law enforcement.

Fair enough. While I personally wouldn’t use honorifics in either of those titles, I can agree with your rationale for retaining them had the decision been yours to make.

Agreed. I’m a stickler for consistency, and only approve of changing an official romanization if it’s evident the original Japanese made a mistake (“Teletha Testarossa” vs “Theresa Testarossa”, “Mash Rene Figaro” vs “Matthew Rene Figaro”, etc.).

Okay then. I’d never seen the hiragana for the characters’ names; I’d just gone by the voices since I had nothing to do with the TLWiki translation. Yes, the official name in the opening animation would be incorrect (“Ohne” and “Oune” are the same name written using different romanization standards). The issue then becomes the inconsistency between the opening animation and the in-game dialogue. If it were possible, I’d have updated the opening animation to use the correct romanization in that case (NNL seems to be quite fond of this practice as well).

I’ve seen worse, though. For instance, a Japanese character’s name being romanized as if it were a Western name or a Caucasian character being given a straight-romanized name (“Lin Mayuzumi” vs “Rin Mayuzumi”, “Haru Glory” vs “Hal Glory”). I make an exception for “Light Yagami” (as opposed to “Raito Yagami”) since Viz made use of the name to introduce some clever wordplay.

I have to say I am quite pleased with how well this game was presented; from the quality of the game itself and its polish but also with the promotional artbook and slipcase. Very, very nicely done.

here is the japanese walkthrough http://gamekn.com/zanmataisei_w.html
if someone wants to translate it please do it

I’m going to refrain from making a wall of china bad joke.

Anyways, demonbane’s pretty awesome, its like 8 years old by now right? But damn, it still feels like brand new to me. Probably one of the stuff that can stand up to the test of time.

These sentences tell me anything I wanted to know about what kind of person Imagker is. As far as I’m concerned, this discussion is over. :roll:

Oh, I see. You’re just a troll.

I agree Eric. I know I haven’t played many of these, in fact I am very sure I am one of the few to play the least, but it is an easy read because I feel it is polished. I think it just has to do with the characters being as charming as they are and plus it is my first game with magic and I think it works well how it is portrayed. Also, I love that there isn’t a static text box and that it moves around with character images if they aren’t in view. This is my first game where they do that, so I find it really nice.

I read it more that he’s a lolicon freak, like how I’m a twincest freak. I’d react the same way to anyone who dares insults the glory that is identical sisters… except I’d wish tentacle beast on the offender. :wink:

He gave an interesting example, though. Whilst I don’t think it’s wonderful that his sample character has two cute young sisters, one of them being so cheerful, I do agree it’s sugoi that he has two kawaii imouto, one of them being so genki. Really. They may not be pretty twins but imagine them as kireina futago! Using honorifics whilst talking English.

To the people discussing honorifcs:

I speak for myself when I say:

TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Care to explain why it’s uninformative? Is it because it’s something you already know? If you think it’s false, care to back up your claim?

???w???w

Oh, sorry, let me translate that into English

Ah! Chotto machi! I got it, I got it! In other words, this chuubou doesn’t understand Japanese and doesn’t want to properly learn it, but he wants to read English-translated stuff filled with ro-maji and then feel “a, boku, nihongo wakaru yo!” w This guy, dondake aho! w