Eroge Review

What’s your former and latter database? Do you export and import data through any given procedure or do you write your SQL code yourself? Do you have binary data? Unicode-encoded data?

Save if you have binary data, exporting and importing should just be a matter of correctly re-writing the “CREATE TABLE” statements (because the datatypes and syntax may be different in both databases), the “INSERT INTO” statement syntax being pretty much universal among all RDBMSs. Of course, you may have to properly configure the TABLESPACE and all, but that’s a side task. The only point about which to be careful may be if you have Unicode-encoded data, in which case you have to pay attention the exported data is translated back into UTF-8 (and not the database native encoding for Unicode data), and to tell the database in which to import that the imported data is in UTF-8 (that may or may not be transparent, depending on your RDBMS).
For binary data, it would depend on if you have a direct access to the database data or not, so that you could export and import the raw data.

While the forums were down, I got a review for Saishuu Chikan Densha 2 completed. Also ayyo finally poked his head out and made a post… so now people can stop asking me where I stuffed him. :wink:

I got the data to transfer over, so all the comments are back. :slight_smile:

The old database was MSSQL 5 and UTF-8 - the new is MySQL 5 (with the latest patches) and UTF-8. No encryption. The tables were generated automatically by the Wordpress installation, but I was able to navigate the files using a text editor (really not that huge). Fortunately I managed to create two instances on the same server - one with the new data and the second with the old - and do an active migration. Then I cleaned up the messy leftovers manually. I only got away with it, because the site is brand new and not that cluttered. I doubt this would have been possible if there were hundreds of entires scattered everywhere.

shrugs
I don’t personally see the problem, with a proper data export and import, but then working in the databasewarehousing is my job. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think you hit it right on the nose: I’m not too sure if the database exported correctly or not. Idiotic me didn’t do a consistency check before killing the source.

Also I’m not a database man. The barely passing things I can do with it, are only because it has some sort of correlation with object orientation. :lol:

There’s also the fact that most database people I know, tend to be on the weird side. Staring at tables and queries all day, does weird things to your minds! :wink:

Well, I’m an erogamer, if that’s what you mean. :mrgreen:

Renewed review for Quilt by CLOVER. Written because I just recently completed the more awesome (and totally non-adult) version for PS2.

Black Cyc reviews are coming along nicely.

MinDeaD BlooD: Mayu to Mana no Yuketso Hako will be first, followed by the non-Cyc Komorebi ni Yureru Tama no Koe because I need a good loli review, and then three or four Black Cyc titles in a row.

Cuuute :mrgreen: !
I was right, you too can appreciate sweet and pure stuff :wink:

They really cute ^^ can’t wait for the review

Well to truly know how Dark something is, one must know the brightness of the Light. :wink:

I generally dislike “sweet and innocent” titles unless they’re VERY good or have a great presentation format. I anticipate to not exactly be fond of the title we discussed in PM, because it doesn’t outwardly appeal to me. Just doesn’t strike me as something on the level of Da Capo 2 or To Heart 2. I’ve seen some images of its gallery and borrowed the music CD from a friend, but neither convinced me to buy it. Perhaps this “lucky chance” is a sign from the gods that I’m wrong, but just because Japan loves it, doesn’t mean Narg will. :stuck_out_tongue:

Its a damn good title. Will rate at least 85 points or so. If you’re taken in by loli designs and the famous art style, then you don’t have to wait for my review. It makes my recommendation list… perhaps a Platinum Award if a friend can convince me that a certain negative I have with the game, is just a personal bias of mine. Either way: tops my list of loli specific titles. :mrgreen:

Which kinda reminds me… I need to review a few more titles I dislike, before people think everything I played is always good. :lol:

ic but the Problem is i order much stuff this month (and every other month, Animes, Mangas, Figures etc) so i need to wait :cry:

Hm… you could review Mugen Kairo? But on that note: What’s the worst (full priced) eroge you’ve played? On your old site there were a few extremely negative reviews, but I can’t remember if you mentioned a specific worst game.

… and if I could make a request, there’s a unofficial localisation of Quartett! which was announced a few months ago. Would you be able to re-review that game at some point? :smiley:

I’m really enjoying your reviews so far - keep writing :).

I say screw bad titles! Or save them for last at least haha. Well I’ve always enjoyed your reviews due to them usually being the less hyped games. Well less hyped according to the places I frequent.

The reviews are good reads though, I’ve missed them since your original site went down. :smiley:

Been replaying through the game for the last week, just for that purpose. :slight_smile:

But that title is horrible. It’s a serious blemish on the reputation of Black Cyc. Easily their worst title ever.

That really depends… There are a ton of horrible eroge I’ve sadly wasted money on, but seriously looking back on it, I think it would better to say which is the worst of a particular genre.

For example the worst twincest title would be Yaki-Mochi Twin Bell… the worst attempt to incorporate a gimmick into an eroge would be Apocalypse: Deus Ex Machina… the worst nun title would be Sister Maria no Momoiro Seika… etc…

Sure. Off the record, I think Quartett! is one of the best damn examples of what all eroge should aspire to be. Awesome presentation engine, fantastic characters, and heart wrenching drama. My only complaint is the lack of voice acting, and very linear game play. However the non-hentai remake added full voice acting and extended the story here and there, which pretty much makes it 99% perfection in my opinion (but obviously not ero).

Renewed Gore Screaming Show review is up.

Also stealthily cleaned up the ones for Tokumei Sentai Sirenger and MinDeaD BlooD DVD Special Edition as well (bulk of the text and ratings are the same, but lengthen paragraphs here and there to be more descriptive and up to par with recent articles).

Review for Komorebi ni Yureru Tama no Koe is taking longer than I thought… perhaps tomorrow… trying my best to get it posted within 24 hours. The Super Bowl caused delays… that and spending all last night playing Nukenin again. :oops:

Excellent review :slight_smile: - I’ve only played the demo of GSS, without being able to really understand it, but it was amazing (although it was a bit of a letdown as there was no gore and very little screaming in it :P). The music is hauntingly beautiful, and Gore is wonderfully insane. Strangely enough, I found the character sprites looked a little odd, as the way the artist draws fingers and fingernails seems a bit unnatural, and once or twice, they seem to be bent at impossible angles.

Oh, and as an aside, a few typos have slipped into your review, including Gore’s ‘insulting condensation’.

You know it’s weird. He also always draws the paper doll really stiff. Like they have to keep their limbs in locked positions, rather than “natural” or within “movement”. Yet when he draws the event illustrations, this limitation goes away. Either the person who draws the paper dolls is not the same, or he cuts corners. I admit that I’ve grown used to his quirks, so they don’t seem as obvious to me anymore… :o

Thanks. That’s what I get for using MS Word with auto spellcheck on. :oops: I’ll go over the article one more time and catch the mistakes.

Damn… that was a lot of mistakes… I’m really slipping up. :? My old English teach would kick my ass. Fixed the majority - will do another fresh check after a few hours.

Narg, read my comment on your GSS review at your site. It says what need to be said.

Thanks to your last review, i was going to buy GSS next Month :slight_smile: looks like an really interesting Game.

So what’s next Narg? You gonna review Gun-Katana?

I shouldn’t really complain too much about his art - a lot of his CGs are jaw-droppingly good (first appearance of Yuka :D). Oh, and you mentioned in another thread that MinDead and GSS had the same artist: does that mean ??? and ??? are the same person :shock:?