Eroge Review

I will try.

I’ve been neglecting the Eroge Review site because I’m working on something that I’m hoping everyone will agree was worth the trouble when its done. That project has recently gone into overdrive with the artist and music composer fully on board and providing top notch contributions, the scenario is now about 90% locked into place, and over half the script is complete. With the momentum going so strong, I’d rather not stop while I’m ahead (because stumbling is bound to occur sooner or later).

Still, I’ll see if I can find time to make a new review before the month is over.

I would say you’ve done a GREAT improvement since your first days, young padawan, even if maybe a little bit of naivety still remains in your heart :wink: (you really asked for “comments or suggestions” for a review of THAT game? Oh, you must be a Jedi padawan for sure :twisted: :lol: ).
However, what about this different, RECENT review? It isn’t a Shingo review?

Rule #1 when writing anything (eroge reviews included): consider your audience. The audience for my site has changed a lot since the first review I wrote (the one that the commenter disliked); back then (almost four years ago?) I was writing mostly for myself and a small group of online friends, and half of the conversation about the game went on in IRC. The most recent review I did was with the knowledge that the audience had changed considerably, and that I’d have to tailor the post to suit.

Two caveats: first, that Gyakushuu 2 review is pretty abysmal by any standards and should be largely overhauled / appended to become something decent. Second, I haven’t written enough eroge reviews to lay claim to the mantle of a proper game reviewer; I’ll happily concede that title to others much more accomplished and with much longer resumes than myself.

Speaking of which, this is Narg’s thread. I’ll butt out now; please ignore. ^^;;

Oops, I’ve read “April” only, I’ve missed the “2007”, now I understand :oops: .
However, this thread is named “Eroge review”, not “Narg’s eroge review”, no need to open new threads, I’m sure you’re welcome here, too :wink: .

Well to be honest, I’ve always liked reading Shingo’s reviews more than my own. Seeing someone else prospective is always an eye opener, and his obsession with the “out of game” goodies always brings a smile to my face. Needless to say, I was tremendously envious of his Bullet Butlers review, because it was so detailed and epic. I avoid trying to write an article of such finery, because it would take me WEEKS to accomplish what he did in that single review.

I’ve learned that writing eroge reviews is a lot more time consuming that I originally imagined. You just can’t say, “This game sucks. Trust me on that and don’t get it.” You have to elaborate WHY you dislike the game, give some info on what it offers, and touch a bit on the story and characters. All this while avoiding spoilers (for me at least). That requires a bit of preplanning and thinking… Narg doesn’t like preplanning and thinking. :stuck_out_tongue:

I originally started an eroge review site because I was unemployed at the time, and had a LOT of free time. Now I’m employed and have too little free time. :wink:

Looking back when I had ELIZAR.COM as a site, and seeing it archived on the Wayback Machine, those reviews really sucked too. I don’t think of myself as an expert at reviewing material… just some twincest nut who happens to have a hosting plan. The core of the problem is that there’s a lack of sites dedicated to reviewing eroge. Most of those I’ve ran across, eventually go inactive and/or switch focus to something else: usually reviewing the entire eroge industry as a whole, rather than one title at a time. Mostly because trying to review one title at a time is probably insane. But hey, I’m crazy…

Opening communications with Ayyo and joining forces was one of the best things to happen. He’s done a ton of “behind the scene” stuff, as I really suck at Wordpress scripting.

But yea… Shingo does great reviews, because they convey his honest opinion of the material he’s reviewing. That’s the most important thing: why do you think ____________ is worth getting or not worth getting.

Wow… what a long rant…

So that this post isn’t totally off topic: I just reviewed Princess Waltz. :slight_smile:

Princess Waltz does look pretty good. Might hold off getting that one until the localised release–partly because it’ll be cheaper, I admit. =p

Having some notion of the sheer amount of time it takes to review a game, including the often lengthy play time, it blows my mind that you’re able to consistently produce such quality reviews at such a rate. It’s an enormous time commitment that I think both explains why there are so few eroge review sites out there, and makes your site even more valuable and important, and I hope people who read your reviews realize that.

I don’t consider myself in the same league at all, though I’d like to write more than the one review per year that I’ve been averaging… orz

It’s why I don’t write reviews for the RAML any longer~

That was one of my reasons to drop my reviewer’s pen ages ago too - besides the reason/pretext that I found back then for doing so. :wink:

In case you didn’t know, Meteor just called it quits in the last 48 hours… Ero Goddess rest their soul. :frowning:

I only played one of the titles, and I happened to write a review for it on my old site. I had a newer revision in draft format for future use. Having caught wind of the news, I’ve spent all day replaying Shinjyu no Yakata, reconfirmed my original opinion of it, dusted off the article, and rewrote it the new standard.

So long Meteor… and thanks for the twincest.

Yeah, it’s very sad to see another piece of eroge history disappear :cry:
My only Meteor game is KoiQ! instead, HOTLY :oops: :lol: recommended and also available from DLsite, but the Meteor line boasts a few other nice titles (NOT available from DLsite, unfortunately :frowning: ):

http://erogamescape.dyndns.org/~ap2/ero … brand=1159

Incidentally, http://nawa.sakura.ne.jp/dl/meteor/ is useful for those with the original games but lacking the game patches.

What really disheartens me, is that Meteor is just a “subdivision” of Hobibox… which has been closing down its studios one after another over the last few years. Granted three new studios pop up for each one that dies (its like a Hydra), but its still bothers me somewhat. Hobibox sponsored some pretty neat titles. Guess those days are gone.

Oh! And since I have your attention, I AM repaying my debt to you. Not sure when it will be finished… but it should be this month. :oops:

Also the newest Wordpress is sooooo nice. Makes posting a lot easier. :mrgreen:

Maybe they have lost interest, or they simply decided to save some money deleting their biggest -but failed- Internet sites (my only explanation for the continued existence of little Mercurius so far).

Yubikiri da ne :wink: :lol: .

Harukani review up! :smiley: I want this game even more after reading the review; it’s just the kind of eroge I love.

Thanks for the review :slight_smile: - even if this isn’t licensed by PP, I’ll definitely consider importing it in the future. Also, is Ayyo going to start reviewing again soon? :smiley:

Actually, I haven’t heard from Ayyo in awhile. I know he’s really busy with RL stuff, so I leave him alone. I know he logs into the admin console sometimes, so he’s alive. :stuck_out_tongue:

I hope this review will become a trigger to make you turn toward the light side of eroge :lol:

Let the light side choose for you the future eroge you will review Narg.

I’m sorry… I couldn’t hear you over the sound of my harem, lovingly call me Master. I’ll be sure to punish them properly, for being so rude. :twisted:

Im not sure if you are already looking at another review but would you review Bible black when you get the chance.

Ayyo’s just reviewed Ikusa Megami Zero. :smiley: