Feedback request on new games

quote:
Originally posted by Benoit:
Death Meta - Can't see much because the menu is in Flash. Looks good, but not really... alive.

I've 100% completed Death Meta.

First half of the stories are comedic centric, but once the seriousness of the player character's condition sets in during the second half, it gets sufficiently moody. Dark elements exist in the story arcs, and you are given morality challenging situations here and there. The whole vampirism thing is a major plot anchor.

The free demo really doesn't do the story much justice, as seems to be more of a "game engine showcase" more than anything else...

Anybody know which one has the longest and most interesting story?My problems with translated games are they were either too short or use repetitive dialog.Maybe the problem lies with the japanese company,but still it’d be nice to see a game with air or kanon story quality.All angel smile games were long but boring,with the exception of figure of happiness

The only one out of that list that I’ve played is Death Meta. There’s a review of it on my site. Took me about a week to unlock everything, but I tend to play rather aggressively (i.e. at least 40 hours of gaming within 7 days if I’m totally “brain dead” for one reason or another).

To be honest, not many titles match the quality of Air or Kanon, as series like those are the eroge equivalent of Zelda and Mario Brothers (i.e. industry standard setting). I myself don’t go for titles like them - too “sweet” for my tastes - but I have friends who worship them like goddesses.

[This message has been edited by Nargrakhan (edited 05-14-2006).]

I just read you review of Death Meta and I admit it looked interesting,altough I still hav some qualms about their character deseigns and overall colours,a bit too bright for an occult game.Now I see why everyone voted for death meta(I can’t open the link)

But your score for it is a bit harsh just like always,eh? 6 for a game that you said are quite good!After seeing your score,my cousin even said"this guy is brutal in the scoring department"

its in comparsion to the better games, the game itself isn’t that bad, pretty good actually, but there are really better games out there ie Tsukihime, KGNE etc so a six is pretty fair. Just think of it as say shadow hearts vs final fantasy, SH isn’t bad but not great compared to FF.

Final Fantasy is an overhyped RPG series. It’s not actually as good as everyone claims it is.

quote:
Originally posted by Nargrakhan:
Took me about a week to unlock everything, but I tend to play rather aggressively (i.e. at least 40 hours of gaming within 7 days if I'm totally "brain dead" for one reason or another).

Ohmygosh [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/eek.gif[/img], 40 hours within 7 days!!! AAAARGH!! Me, I prefer to play only one or two hours every day or two and, very often, I tend to re-play the most gratifying [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/redface.gif[/img] [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img] scenarios ("brain dead" [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/confused.gif[/img]?).

quote:
Originally posted by Benoit:
Final Fantasy is an overhyped RPG series. It's not actually as good as everyone claims it is.

I played only FF8, but I LOVED that game... except the story [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/frown.gif[/img].

Hmm, the problem is the games that people deem “better” often aren’t actually more fun. Sure, the Final Fantasy series has production values that other RPG’s can’t even approach. But I actually prefer games like Star Ocean III, Baldur’s Gate II, and Drakengard. The FF games are ok, but I often find the gameplay frustrating, their stories vague and opaque rather than deep. Advent Children to me epitomized your average FF game: it looks cool on the surface, and you feel pumped after watching, but you realize later that there wasn’t all that much substance behind it all.

On a different note, I’ve been craving RPG’s with a more mature feel to them lately. I’m getting tired of games with children as main characters and themes like “growing up” and “good always triumphs in the end.” I want to see the heroes’ good intentions go horribly wrong–by their own hands; I want to see common conceptions of morality challenged; I want to see “villains” who fight for real ideals, so that one begins to wonder who the real heroes and villains are. I often see this to some extent, but usually half-heartedly, often unnaturally. For example, that sudden change in heart every villain gets when mortally wounded (except for those that are supposed to be evil incarnate).

[This message has been edited by Dark_Shiki (edited 05-16-2006).]

quote:
Originally posted by Nargrakhan:
(i.e. at least 40 hours of gaming within 7 days if I'm totally "brain dead" for one reason or another).

Wow. I've pulled 12-hour playing sessions before, but not so much anymore; 40 hrs / 7 days is a little crazy. I'm not sure whether to congradulate you or suggest you seek help :D

quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Shiki:
Hmm, the problem is the games that people deem "better" often aren't actually more fun. Sure, the Final Fantasy series has production values that other RPG's can't even approach. But I actually prefer games like Star Ocean III, Baldur's Gate II, and Drakengard. The FF games are ok, but I often find the gameplay frustrating, their stories vague and opaque rather than deep. Advent Children to me epitomized your average FF game: it looks cool on the surface, and you feel pumped after watching, but you realize later that there wasn't all that much substance behind it all.

On a different note, I've been craving RPG's with a more mature feel to them lately. I'm getting tired of games with children as main characters and themes like "growing up" and "good always triumphs in the end." I want to see the heroes' good intentions go horribly wrong--by their own hands; I want to see common conceptions of morality challenged; I want to see "villains" who fight for real ideals, so that one begins to wonder who the real heroes and villains are. I often see this to some extent, but usually half-heartedly, often unnaturally. For example, that sudden change in heart every villain gets when mortally wounded (except for those that are supposed to be evil incarnate).

[This message has been edited by Dark_Shiki (edited 05-16-2006).]

Then you, my friend, would really like Planescape: Torment. Go play now. Tut tut.

(As for FF, I actually thought FFX was better than much of what they've put out recently; 9 seemed to be made-up-as-they-went-along, 8 just ... sucked (IMHO) and 6 & 7 both fell apart at the end. Sure, 10 had problems, but the core story was pretty good.)

quote:
On a different note, I've been craving RPG's with a more mature feel to them lately. I'm getting tired of games with children as main characters and themes like "growing up" and "good always triumphs in the end." I want to see the heroes' good intentions go horribly wrong--by their own hands; I want to see common conceptions of morality challenged; I want to see "villains" who fight for real ideals, so that one begins to wonder who the real heroes and villains are.

If you can get past the difficulty, Phantasy Star II would present some of those ingredients. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

I’ve played P:T. Very good game. I classify that in the same category as BG2.

I played Phantasy Star 1 (which sucked) and 4 (which I liked a lot). I tried 2 and 3, but quickly got bored with them. I must admit I’ve gotten a tad tired of the old turn-based level grind in old-school RPG’s. Tales of Phantasia is probably my favorite game from the SNES/Genesis era, with Phantasy Star 4 and Chrono Trigger not far behind.

If I ever do another RPG-style game, I may still have child/teenage characters, but I promise - NO SAVING THE WORLD.

Saving the world from nebulous demonic threats of horrible doom is boring. There’s plenty of other things out there that need saving.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind seeing all of them eventually get translated and ported over- even if it ain’t all that currently feasible; after all, having more translated bishoujo games is a good thing.

quote:
Originally posted by tiger_of_the_wind2040:
What I mean is that most people who pirate these games are usually only in it for the sex and pictures. They don't care about the story. Most likely they'll skip through the text only to get to the pictures. So if english games were censored, then they might as well just download the japanese version of the games.

Usually the only problem I have censored pictures are that to me they simply ruin the artwork. An example is the art done by Carnelian. I really admire the details she puts into colour, the lines and the overall way she makes the pictures flow with such beauty, but then I see the mosiacs and it just ruins the whole picture for me. It's like having a red splooch on the Mona Lisa. I'd rather have the artists not draw those parts at all then have them censored.

[This message has been edited by tiger_of_the_wind2040 (edited 04-17-2006).]

Try Xenogears(not saga that game blows,) there was no definte right or wrong in that game and the main villains aren't acutally "evil", fought for real idea's and had a damn good reason for their actions. Good did not triumph in the end for the villian was not wrong and he got what he wanted. As for age, you play someone who is alot older then he looks.

PS, many consider FF more fun then the other RPG's, IE have you seen the mix list for FFX, the amount of item you can get out of it? That and Drakengard and Star ocean III are by the same company that made FF series. Interms of sales, there is almost no rpg that beats FF (except for Dragon quest but they are by the same company so..) more sales equalls better game, money talks. So basically they should translate which ever game they think will make the most sales, I for one like dark games so death meta for me.

[This message has been edited by Idofgrahf (edited 05-17-2006).]

quote:

more sales equalls better game, money talks.

... So you think that every single crappy action game out there is a vastly "better game" than the english bishoujo games because they've gotten more sales? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

More sales isn't necessarily better, it can simply mean catering to the Foolish Masses.

quote:
I played Phantasy Star 1 (which sucked)

It doesn't suck. It was big step forward for console RPGs, and was well designed. The graphics have aged pretty well. You were probably expecting some sort of concurrent story with the game. There was just a motivation, which was how RPGs were at that time, though Phantasy Star had a better 'story' and setting. The game does something that today's RPGs hardly do, and that's giving you an amount of freedom. You chose where you went.
quote:
That and Drakengard and Star ocean III are by the same company that made FF series.

BZZT! Wrong! Star Ocean is a series made by tri-Ace, which has joined under the hood of Square.
quote:
Interms of sales, there is almost no rpg that beats FF (except for Dragon quest but they are by the same company so..

BZZT! Wrong! The Dragon Quest series is by Enix, who merged with Square some years ago. The latest Dragon Quest released in English was made when they weren't merged yet.
quote:
more sales equalls better game, money talks

Very wrong. The games that sell well nowadays are the most popular ones that were advertised the best. There are plenty of great games out there that didn't sell well because of minimal advertisement, and plenty of crappy games that sell well.

I’ve played both Xenogears and the two Xenosaga games that have come out (name a decent RPG since the PS1 generation and I’ve probably played it). I do like the stories of these games, though occasionally the gameplay is somewhat wanting.

Star Ocean III was published in the U.S. by Square-Enix, but it was actually designed by Tri-Ace. Drakengard was made by SE, but likely by a different design team than the FF series.

No, more sales doesn’t necessarily equal a better game, depending on how you define “better.” In my book, more popular does not necessarily equal better, because I think there are certain independent, fairly objective standards by which a game can be judged–and game sales often do not line up with judgements made by these standards. Though I wasn’t really referring to that with my “more fun” reference–that’s more of a personal remark. I don’t deny that many of the marks of quality can be found in FF games. But I often find the overall playing experience of FF games lacking compared to lesser known titles. Don’t forget that two games of, let’s say, equal quality can sell differently simply depending on how aggressively they’re marketed (we can even imagine a parallel universe where the same game is marketed two different ways, and one sells better than the other–is the identical game in the parallel universe that sold better therefore “better” than the other?). So in that regard as well, the number of sales = the “goodness” or quality of the game argument seems to fall through–unless you want to contend that a game gets better the more it’s featured in TV commericals.

In other words, the sales of a game can be an (approximate) indicator of the quality of a game, but it doesn’t define their quality.

[This message has been edited by Dark_Shiki (edited 05-17-2006).]

Obviously you can’t compare RPG to FPS game sales, they are different genre just as you can’t compare H-game to main stream console games. But in either case, more sale equalls better game, square is obviously doing something right to get several million sales for each FF, almost every review gives it a high mark, they can’t all be baised. Of course there are some people who finds SO III more enjoyable then FF, but not many judging by the sales. Last I checked FFX’s back cover give you very little info of the game, they assume you arleady know what FF is about and there wasn’t that many comericals on it either, I only saw a few before its relased, certainly a lot less the scocom.

You can’t really put ads on the TV for H-game, it cost alot of money and the conservatives will scream murder, but you can translate a few H game that already has exposure in the form of anime, previous games , ie comic party, To heart, Tsukihime etc.

hmmm tsukihime … hmmm …