Future games?

Here’s a better link for Adrift that you doesn’t require registration with Yahoo Groups: http://www.download.com/Adrift-Generator-Runner/3000-7564_4-10325438.html?tag=lst-0-1

This download also includes the capability for designing ADRIFT games, for those wondering if there’s any difference.

Edit: Removed the old link from the post above.

[This message has been edited by Dark_Shiki (edited 11-08-2004).]

I’m not really into text adventures but I enjoyed playing this one, I think the graphics and map helped with the overall feel of the game.

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/njeater/index.html

I think at the moment, the X-change series is the best way to go. It is I believe to date one of the most consistent sellers.

I think as far as increasing the sales of these games, a more efficient distribution method needs to arise that caters to the demographics of likely buyers. I can’t see any existing retail chain that would work well. I’d say the rise of an Anime Store Chain would likely lead to the creation of a distribution system capable of increasing sales of bishoujo games. I dont see that happening in the near time future.

quote:
Originally posted by perigee:
I don't particularly care for 3D graphics. Somehow they look too artificial and manufactured. It's like the difference between anime (or classic Disney animation) and the work produced by Pixar Studios. The latter lacks the artistry and individuality of hand-crafted design.

3D animation looks like it was drawn by a computer. The next step may be to have the computer write the story, too. Then endless streams of animation can be generated on the cheap. Conventional artists need not apply.

If all you want is CG interactivity with lots of "h-factor", then Sexy Beach or Virtual Valerie [any relation to Virtual Mate?] are a good choice. To me, they shouldn't even be classified with bishoujo games. They're almost a parody of the artform.

Just thought I'd do a quicky reply to this.

As a 3D animator, and a 2D artist, I felt I needed to point out that 3D animation is neither quick, nor cheap.

Some of the latest pixar and disney movies numbered over 100mil in production costs, and took a good crew of very skilled 3D artists to make.

I myself have spent 30 hours working on creating art in 3D, that I could have drawn in less than a 20th of that time; I've often used 2D art as a concept for 3D.

Not to say that I think 3D works in an B game, or should be used in any anime-genre production.

3D art can be great for some things- Role-playing games, first-person shooters, cinematic intros, and sometimes just as little bits added to another show (look at Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex for a good example).

As a general rule though, 3D in B-games generally tends to cause a desire to create extra "interactivity" which generally turns into a mindless sex game, with no real substance.

Not to mention, good 3D art takes several things- a very good computer to play it on (real-time rendering isn't that easy :P) or pre-rendered video (hard to do) , a team of skilled animators, good 2D artists, and a LOT of time.

I doubt that many of the companies who make these games have talent and money like Squaresoft has to make a high-quality render like a Final Fantasy cutscene.

Anyway, just my opinion as to why 3D games generally arn't too good.

Kind of long for a first post here [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Kalzin (edited 12-14-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Kalzin (edited 12-14-2004).]

While I to doubt Crowd or any of the other japanese Bishoujo game makers (except for Konami I believe who do make some Bishoujo games, though from my understanding their isn’t much sex in those) have the money for the equivalent of Final Fantasy X or Xenosaga even, I do however think they could do some 2D/3D combination work that would be interesting… In fact I think Konami already did this with Tokimeki Memorial 3: Yakusoku no Ano Basho de. Really at this point in time it wouldn’t be really all that much harder to use 3D CG elements in game with good detail.
Though as Kalzin said it can take longer to do something in 3D than it does in 2D.

Personally I’d like to see a cobination 2D/3D graphics style (I’d suggest a style like GITS: Innosence or the new Appleseed) on a Bishoujo game with RPG/tactical elements (think final fantasy tactics or tactics ogre) as well as sim elements (like the upcoming LMM for instance) for interacting with the various girls. Concept-wise you could do the story in a fantasy world or a sci-fi world going either way and things would work well. I can see class changing fantasy roles or sci-fi mecha combat working quite well. The biggest problem with the type of game I’d like to see is in keeping a blance between normal game play and Bishoujo additions… It would have a much wider appeal though than conventional Bishoujo titles if the conventional elements were good…

But it’s probably a dream atm…

Shield Gun Sakigake is supposed to have tactical mech combat. Who knows when it’s going to see the light of day though. I’m a big fan of b-games with actual gameplay.

The Japanese game Sacred Plume by Teatime combines 2D and 3D as well (it has some very nice 3D cel-shaded H-scenes). It also has a basic strategy RPG battle system.

Sacred Plume looks like another lolicon game. Ah, well, those are Dark_Shiki’s favorites after all.

You better believe it. That’s not to say I don’t have my limits. You’re probably looking at the images on Himeya, I suspect?

This image, I like:

This image…is a bit much:

Bah, we need some good lolicon games in English. I tire of all these girls with breasts the size of their heads.

I prefer games more along true love and plan to pick up LMM. But for b-games I like to see animated graphics not just static another great ideas for games would be games like Eve: Burst Factor or Adam: Double Factor. I loved them two games but more h-scenes would of made them alot more enjoyable

quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Shiki:
You better believe it. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img] That's not to say I don't have my limits. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img] You're probably looking at the images on Himeya, I suspect?

Bah, we need some good lolicon games in English. I tire of all these girls with breasts the size of their heads. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

Actually, I was looking on Getchu's website because it's the first thing that came up when I google search "sacred plume teatime." This is what I see there:
[img]http://image.getchu.com/brandnew/25966/c25966sample2.jpg[/img]

Seriously... no. By the way, I really don't like huge breast characters either. I avoid the Milk Junky games and G-Taste games like a plauge. I do realize that some people like extremes, but I don't like it when the characters are little children or when their cup size is DD+. Games that offer both extremes and nothing in between are the worst.

Oh well. To each his own. Just as long as the word “pedophile” doesn’t start getting bandied about…

quote:
Games that offer both extremes and nothing in between are the worst.

This is a direct stab at Jewel Knights, if I ever heard one. I suppose I’ll have to agree with you there. I don’t like the big-breasted ones…and Hisui is a bit too loli even for me. That, and loli rape is a big turn-off…even more so than the standard kind.

BTW, it’s probably a good idea to keep the embedded image posts “work safe,” if you know what I mean. Just a suggestion. I know I’m surfing these boards from home, and it’d be rather embarassing if one of my younger brothers walked by and saw some of these pics…

[This message has been edited by Dark_Shiki (edited 12-15-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by bishounen_blue:
I do realize that some people like extremes, but I don't like it when the characters are little children or when their cup size is DD+. Games that offer both extremes and nothing in between are the worst.

Eh, I'd say that Sacred Plume isn't a pure loli game, from what I've seen of it... >_>

It does look interesting, I may get it after I finish my current queue. -_-

Then again, I'm somewhat a lolicon myself, so it doesn't bother me that much.

Haru no Ashioto, Utawarerumono, Nuiguruma, Little My Maid... gaah.

So much money...

[This message has been edited by Dark Lord Zenigame (edited 12-15-2004).]

Oh come on, 10 years old? You’re really exaggarating there.
It’s 5-6 years old.

Besides, does it really matter how old it is?

Hey why is it that companies like Studio E-go, Cherrysoft, and Alicesoft mostly make dark games? I love their animation but really don’t like the genre or rape, torture, S&M, and tentacle.

Studio E-go doesn’t seem particularly dark, in my experience. Their games usually are lighthearted and filled with humor for the most part, at least the ones I’ve played, with some of them containing a little “dark” content in-between. Granted, I have played only some of their titles (Men at Work 2 & 3, Izumo 2, Vagrants, My Fair Angel, Castle Fantasia, Maou no Musume-tachi (sp?) )

[This message has been edited by AG3 (edited 12-19-2004).]

Ya Izumo’s a pretty cool game. The other games I’ve played were Fruit Punch and this other dark one. But geez for a name like “Fruit Punch” and for all the bright colours, and upbeat music its pretty much a rape game.

quote:
Originally posted by tiger_of_the_wind2040:
Ya Izumo's a pretty cool game. The other games I've played were Fruit Punch and this other dark one. But geez for a name like "Fruit Punch" and for all the bright colours, and upbeat music its pretty much a rape game.

First of all, Fruit Punch is a Cronus game, not a Studio e-go game. All Cronus games are about sex and only sex. I like Inukko Puni Puni a lot more than Fruit Punch because Inukko Puni Puni is a lot funnier. (plus cute kemono characters) Studio e-go games are almost always "real" gameplay games, although there are exceptions. Studio e-go's CGs are easily distinguished from all others because of their unique style. I think they are good at making good fantasy romance situations. Their style may be too flowery for some, but I like it a lot. See:

[img]http://www.studio-ego.co.jp/031/ego/game/izumo2/v131.jpg[/img]

[This message has been edited by bishounen_blue (edited 12-21-2004).]

Nice broken image.

Strange. I posted that and it was there. Then, bam, gone. I edited my message and posted the image again and it’s back now. I hope it stays there now. It’s pretty.

That’s Izumo 2, I see. It was a great game, but what a pain to play through more than once! The battles can be very hard at certain parts of the game, and since you get no helping “bonus” after completing the game once (like in Men at Work 2), subsequent replays can be less entertaining. The battles get a bit tiresome after a while, especially when you’re on your second to third playthrough (though I always enjoyed the boss battles). And when you don’t understand much of what’s being said and done, it understandably hampers the enjoyment somewhat. Still, the time consumed by all the battles is the biggest problem for me. Since you have to repeat it for each and every girl you’re after, you’re looking at literally days of just battling.

First time I tried it, I didn’t even get the girl I had been focusing on. Which means that you potentially have to replay several times for each girl. I attribute much of this to my lack of Japanese knowledge, but still… Izumo 2 requires you to have a LOT of spare time, and patience.

Lovely artwork though, even by Studio e-go standards. Like bishounen_blue mentioned, their artwork is pretty easy to recognize, the characters at least. The girl in that picture, Sakuya, is the one I went for, but I ended up with Kotono instead. Maybe I should have messed up when trying to reassemble her soul, or whatever it was I did in that underworld-looking place… Oh well.

Maybe I’ll borrow the game again someday, if I ever have a lot of free time on my hands.

[This message has been edited by AG3 (edited 12-21-2004).]