Has anyone here know about Onegai Twin Anime?

That’s what I keep hearing from people who read the novel. Which is also kinda what’s keeping me from reading it.

I’m tempted to also get the megami mook which is basically all the posters and stuff in the megami magazines all in 1 book. I have the AYA mook, and all I can say is it’s very nice and fanservicy I wonder if the OT mook has a standee like AYA now that would definately tempt me into buying it.

Yeah you kinda have to pick and choose between the anime and the manga as the anime does some parts better while the manga other parts. I kinda like melding the 2 to make my own version

Damn, I want both the AYA and the OT Megami collections. I bet they’re both very droolworthy.

Anyway, yeah, I like both watching the anime and reading the manga, to get a full view of stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
I'm tempted to also get the megami mook which is basically all the posters and stuff in the megami magazines all in 1 book. I have the AYA mook, and all I can say is it's very nice and fanservicy [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img] I wonder if the OT mook has a standee like AYA now that would definately tempt me into buying it.

Yeah you kinda have to pick and choose between the anime and the manga as the anime does some parts better while the manga other parts. I kinda like melding the 2 to make my own version [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

You mean the fan book they are soon to be releasing? By the way AYA?

That is what I am starting to do, see where I think the scenes in one explain something not explained in the other and kind of meld them into something very clear for me.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 01-14-2004).]

Faust: The AYA is very droolworthy I give it
Plus the standee is pretty cool, I just heard that the PT mook also comes with a standee, I think I’m going to be ordering that one too form amazon.jp

SCDawg: AYA = Ai Yori Aoshi, Harem anime with main girl in a kimino who is very cute, Blonde american girl who likes grabbing breasts, a big breasted clutzy maid, a hot older attendant to the kimino girl, and a couple of jail baiters thrown in for kicks oh yeah it’s a nice romantic comedy too

Megami magazine routinely puts mooks together of popular series. Im them are a buncha color prints of stuff that has been in their magazine. And since megami magazine posters are usually more risque than the anime…well you know

Have you picked up the Ai Yori Aoshi manga? I like the character designs in the anime better but it’s probably worth it for some of the images…

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
Have you picked up the Ai Yori Aoshi manga? I like the character designs in the anime better but it's probably worth it for some of the images... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

Is it out yet? I ordered it from Rightstuf a while ago but have not gotten a shipping notice yet, if it is out I have to check a few local sources perhaps change the order.

The anime then is recommended? For some reason, and it probably started with Love Hina, I have started trying to read the manga first then watch the anime.

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
Is it out yet? I ordered it from Rightstuf a while ago but have not gotten a shipping notice yet, if it is out I have to check a few local sources perhaps change the order.

The anime then is recommended? For some reason, and it probably started with Love Hina, I have started trying to read the manga first then watch the anime.

I just looked at The Right stuff,
( Getting ready for next month's anime ),
and the manga is 15-18 business days. The
Anime is in stock however. ( More stuff to go on my wish list ).

Man, now I REALLY want those mooks… I bet some of those images are instant nosebleeds.

Yeah, I picked up the first volume of the AYA manga… and while I like the anime character designs a bit more, I still like the manga’s. And yes, it is definitely more risque than the anime.

Also, I recommend the Ai Yori Aoshi anime. It’s a harem show, and theres nothing remotely original about it, so if that’s not your thing…

But if it is, it’s pretty well done. It’s kinda what the Love Hina TV series should have been… it’s funnier, has more fanservice, isn’t as slapstick, and has more character driven emotional parts. The only problem is that it’s a bit uneven in it’s pacing… the first and last discs (of the Pioneer/Geneon R1 release) are all emotional and sappy, and the middle three are all fanservice and goofiness. Still good stuff. There’s also a second series, ~Enishi~ that is airing (has aired?) in Japan, and P/G already has it licensed for release over here.

A lot of anime’s have problems with pacing. Sometimes I think it’s because they have problems going from a manga to an anime format. At other times, well, it’s them getting caught up in their “traditional” thinking. I mean, sometimes you watch an episode and you just think to yourself, it’s in there because they have to have a beach/hot spring episode…er, not that I usually complain about those episodes…

quote:
A lot of anime's have problems with pacing. Sometimes I think it's because they have problems going from a manga to an anime format. At other times, well, it's them getting caught up in their "traditional" thinking. I mean, sometimes you watch an episode and you just think to yourself, it's in there because they have to have a beach/hot spring episode...er, not that I usually complain about those episodes... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

I agree based on the anime I have seen there is always one 'bath', 'beach', or 'hot springs' scene in the show even if that never appears in the manga.

Though I am not sure it is pacing so much as choosing which characters to focus on besides the obvious main characters. In print you can have two man characters and perhaps 20 very strong supporting characters, but try developing that many in a 25 minute show, or would that too be a pacing issue?

quote:
Originally posted by Faust:
But if it is, it's pretty well done. It's kinda what the Love Hina TV series should have been... it's funnier, has more fanservice, isn't as slapstick, and has more character driven emotional parts. The only problem is that it's a bit uneven in it's pacing... the first and last discs (of the Pioneer/Geneon R1 release) are all emotional and sappy, and the middle three are all fanservice and goofiness. Still good stuff. There's also a second series, ~Enishi~ that is airing (has aired?) in Japan, and P/G already has it licensed for release over here. .

Is ~Enishi~ also taken from the AYA manga or from another series that is a follow up to the AYA manga or just a spin-off anime for lack of better phrasing.

Yes there are alot of nosebleed worthy pics in the AYA mook

You definately have to get used to the character designs of the manga if your used to the anime char designs. When I first saw the manga chara designs I thought I was looking at some other series. But once you get used to it it’s actually not bad. I still perfer the anime designs though. I haven’t gotten the english release yet but I do have a couple of vols of the japanese tanks. and yeah it’s more risque and fanservicy.

For people who liked AYA fanservice Enishi ups the notch a WHOLE lot but not much advancement of the karou/aoi relationship in this series. So if you liked the filler and fanservice for AYA you will love enishi if you are looking for plot advancement you may wanna pass.

I’m not sure how much they are following the manga but from some discussions about AYA right now the manga is in an arc where Karou is heading back to his family to take care of some business. I have a very strong feeling that the production company is waiting for the manga to resolve before they move the anime along.

quote:
Though I am not sure it is pacing so much as choosing which characters to focus on besides the obvious main characters. In print you can have two man characters and perhaps 20 very strong supporting characters, but try developing that many in a 25 minute show, or would that too be a pacing issue?

That entirely depends. 20 "very strong supporting characters" would be a bit much for even a strong manga; but it could be done. It's all a matter of episode count and pacing. A show like Mahoromatic - which falters and ultimately falls flat because of pacing concerns - starts off with fairly strong supporting characters, but in the second season they are more or less Data Drained.

But you are right - a lot of this comes down to the fact that most anime is now 13 eps; shows longer than 26 are extremely sparse now, even more so than they were in the past. In the case of Mahoromatic they had to skip around in the manga, and they had a full 26; Hellsing suffered horrendously because the manga was still in its "gearing up" phase, but the TV show was winding down - so they just sort of ... went out with a whimper. Berserk has the same problem; it ends on a horrible cliffhanger, doesn't even wholly cover the brief subsection of the manga that it wanted to (stopping just short of the real end, as I understand it), and certainly doesn't begin to cover all of the manga.

If you want to have more than a few very well developed characters, there really isn't any way out of needing more episodes - and that's hard to get. Of course, there are exceptions - and if you know of any, be sure to let me know!

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
If you want to have more than a few very well developed characters, there really isn't any way out of needing more episodes - and that's hard to get. Of course, there are exceptions - and if you know of any, be sure to let me know!

I know it is not an exception in needing fewer episodes to flush out character development but as something that is rare these days is not Maison ikkoku up to about 96 episodes and is it still going or not?

quote:
I know it is not an exception in needing fewer episodes to flush out character development but as something that is rare these days is not Maison ikkoku up to about 96 episodes and is it still going or not?

Maison Ikkoku still going? I think Rumiko Takahashi would have a heart attack. Maison Ikkoku predates Ranma, unless I'm mistaken - and Ranma predates Inu Yasha.

The thing is - Viz started bringing the anime over later than it came out in Japan; and Viz's release schedule is VERY unkind. Hell, late last year the last volume of Ranma TV finally came out; the show is ancient history in Japan by now.

In the case of Maison Ikkoku, it didn't do as well as Ranma - so the releases were even MORE erratic; I think VHS died as a platform before it was all released.

So, in effect - all of Maison Ikkoku may or may not be out domestically - but the show is dead and buried in Japan.

I guess the answer to your question is 'define "still going"'. A cop out, I know...but Viz is being silly. Really, 3 episodes of Inu Yasha a disc?

quote:

I guess the answer to your question is 'define "still going"'. A cop out, I know...but Viz is being silly. Really, 3 episodes of Inu Yasha a disc?

I guess still going as in still being aired or being released, I know it is being released on DVD here domestically in the United States over the next few months or so I read somewhere recently. Despite the poor release that you mentioned it had in Japan, was it something liked?

Well yes they are perhaps foolish for doing that, but so long as people will buy the 3 episodes a disc they will be foolish all the way to the bank, which might actually mean what they are doing is smart, not that I want such an idea to catch on to other companies.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 01-17-2004).]

quote:
I guess still going as in still being aired or being released, I know it is being released on DVD here domestically in the United States over the next few months or so I read somewhere recently. Despite the poor release that you mentioned it had in Japan, was it something liked?

I think you misunderstood. Everything that Rumiko Takahashi has ever done has been quite popular in Japan. I'm not sure why. Maison Ikkoku, I'm sure, is no exception. It didn't do very well in the States, which is why Viz has been so behind on it.

quote:
I think you misunderstood. Everything that Rumiko Takahashi has ever done has been quite popular in Japan. I'm not sure why. Maison Ikkoku, I'm sure, is no exception. It didn't do very well in the States, which is why Viz has been so behind on it.

Ah I did misunderstand, I thought you meant the television releases were poorly organized thus leading to poor VHS releases when they tried to make up money that way.

I think part of the problem was the Maison Ikkoku wasn’t as episodic in nature compared to Ranma. So it had a harder time surviving it’s wacky VHS release schedule.

Don’t know how the DVD sets will fare either. It’s something like 4 or 5 months between each set, and it is an older anime, meaning it won’t look as cool or shiny compared to other sets.

quote:
I think part of the problem was the Maison Ikkoku wasn't as episodic in nature compared to Ranma. So it had a harder time surviving it's wacky VHS release schedule.

Also Maison Ikkoku plays it very straight, unlike Ranma. Typically speaking, drama anime doesn't fare too well in the US, devoid as it is of gender/species changing antics, angsty teens, giant mecha, abusive females and other assorted kookiness. It was a hard sell, especially at a $30 for two VHS episodes price point.

I expect the DVD release to be more successful, with the show finally given the opportunity to sell at a very reasonable cost. The 4-5 month gap between box releases is in some way offset by the number of discs/episodes in each set - effectively four episodes every 6 weeks or so, which is similar to ADV and quicker than the schedules of Bandai and Pioneer. The third box is due in April, so it should be perfoming fairly well. Lets hope that in this instance fans can recognise substance over style (we can hope [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img] )