Hitomi - My Stepsister is out

quote:
Originally posted by dummygirl:
I'm just surprised that the outcry isn't effecting them at all if there's such a consensus from the small market.

Well, you have to take into consideration that the group here (and there) may be quite vocal, but probably a vanishing minority compared to the entire market.

So, they have probably set their mind on waiting what sales tell about their decision. And there is also the possibility that they were not free to make that decision, but a puppeteer behind their back made them install it.

Or, maybe, it’s a growing number… Who knows, Unicorn? Without sales data, we can only speculate. Anyway, animenation has not listed them at the moment…

@ dummygirl

Then play it and have fun.Oh, and when i say freedom i mean to play whatever b-game i like whenever i like without being bothered with online things or similars. I’ll never be a “V-Mate slave”, as someone defined purchasers to me… There are way far more extremistic guys then me outside.
Ah, well… i still have my seat on the bridge…

[This message has been edited by Italicus (edited 12-02-2004).]

Minor nitpick, dummygirl - the ‘R’ in ‘CD-R’ means “recordable”. A CD-R is something that was burned by someone, as opposed to a legit disc.

Unicorn, that makes sense.

Italicus, I’m only interested in the hentai games right now, but who knows? Berserk got me into anime, Sanctuary into manga, and Crescendo into b-games, so I’m gradually getting into more stuff. Which type of games do you like better? And sorry about my confusion with the freedom reference- the only difference I’ve experienced with V-mate so far is that the first time I install the game, I type in my username and password. Maybe that’s cause I have a cable modem? Well, we’ll see what happens with the V-mate issue anyway.

Nandemonai, my bad. As you can see, my username is apt. It’s a CD-Rom, then? Like I know what that stands for, either.

quote:
Computermania, sorry, I thought you meant getting all the CGs. I never consider that I've finished a game til I get them all, but that's just me. And, yes, the fact that you can't skip the ending credits is annoying. Be sure to watch til the end, though. Sometimes they have stuff after the credits and sometimes they don't- you can tell if it seems to cut off in the middle. And, yes, there's a default settings problem when you quit the game, but Let's Meow Meow has that, too. These minor annoyances are nothing new- loading a saved game always began the day anew no matter where you saved in Private Nurse and you had to play the same hentai scenes over and over just to get all the CGs, where I didn't find much of a variation anyway. I get more annoyed at random hardness in the game like in Snow Drop, where the choices to advance don't make sense or in Divi-Dead, where you can't tell where most of the choices for the different paths are. Did you finish Hitomi all in one night?

Yeap...I finish the game in one night. Next day, I have to work so, I slept about 2-3hours. Anyway, it is very easy to gather all of the CGs, but, this game is totally different from the Lets Meow Meow. Lets Meow Meow is the you have to pick the characters to go with to see the endings but, Hitomi My Stepsister is different. You have to choose right option to see their each endings. So this game is little bit dark, but I like the Hitomi My Step sister is better....

Computermania, you really like this stuff. I don’t like it when you choose which character you like- fluffy romantic games are way too easy to begin with. I’m with you that Hitomi is better than Meow Meow. The only thing they have in common is that default options annoyance when you quit the game. I’m glad you like Hitomi, though. Do you think it’s the best dark game out so far, too?

quote:
Computermania, you really like this stuff. I don't like it when you choose which character you like- fluffy romantic games are way too easy to begin with. I'm with you that Hitomi is better than Meow Meow. The only thing they have in common is that default options annoyance when you quit the game. I'm glad you like Hitomi, though. Do you think it's the best dark game out so far, too?

For the english tilles yes. Let's Meow Meow and Hitomi my step Sister you don't need CD to play with it. It will automatic play... That good thing about it.... Let's Meow Meow somehow I can go with full screen. I try with Hitomi my step sister...I have to figure out.

quote:
wanfu2k1, yep, I sure am. It sounds like your anime/manga/b-game collection could be scarier than mine. My manga collection is the only thing I have of value, and it's worth more than my life. Have you guys been into this awhile? Is there any other related field to get into besides anime/manga/b-games?

And thanks for the g-money info, wanfu2k1. The times I've ordered directly from G-Collections, I've gotten similar amounts. I just thought some coins had fallen out through the open cracks at the ends from the box being squished. It didn't effect the game- there's just alot of empty space with only the game and the coins in there.

Hmm...how about console rpgs [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img] I have a huge collection of those too [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img] Although I haven't as much time to play these games [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/frown.gif[/img] If you like anime then games like Lunar, and tales series will be right up your alley. You really don't want to know how big my other collections are [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
Actually, I believe a human life is worth about $100K. That's quite a lot of manga you have there.

Hmmm..I thought it was only $100 in raw materials. Not alot of anime there [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
Hmm...how about console rpgs [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img] I have a huge collection of those too [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img] Although I haven't as much time to play these games [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/frown.gif[/img] If you like anime then games like Lunar, and tales series will be right up your alley. You really don't want to know how big my other collections are [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

I concur. Go for Xenosaga Episode 1 or Star Ocean: Til the End of Time if you want to see some 3D anime. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img] Xenosaga has a very detailed and involved story. The quality of Star Ocean III's story is up for debate. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img] Both are Sci-Fi, though Star Ocean has a lot of fantasy elements in the mix as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Computermania:
hard core..... Let me think... Will if you know the save spot you can shrink the time.. When you play the game. OK Here is the bad point about the Hitomi My step sister...after you see the one of the characters endings, endings credit can't skip. You have to wait tell it finsh the end credit.
Different question. Is it anybody that get this problem? First you install the game and you click play and opening of the Mercure will show up. When those opening is shown it is inwindows mode. After you see the Mercure opening you will have New Game or Continue..and etc. To make the full screen you go to the option and chooose full screen and you can adjust all of the settings. After you did that game will play as the that settings.©Ocourse. But after you finsh the game and click quit for some reason and when you start to play again it back to regular settings. Does this problem happen anybody? or they set up that way.....

Yeah the same thing happens in my games. Looks like the game doesn't save your perferences so it defaults to windows view everytime you start the game.

Hmm…well I don’t recall LMM giving me more coins than the previous games so I will have to assume it was about the same. Maybe the shipper was just extra generous with Hitomi.

Hmm…that’s strange you got your game in a CD-R all my games from all the publishers have always been pressed cds.

quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Shiki:
I concur. Go for Xenosaga Episode 1 or Star Ocean: Til the End of Time if you want to see some 3D anime. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img] Xenosaga has a very detailed and involved story. The quality of Star Ocean III's story is up for debate. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img] Both are Sci-Fi, though Star Ocean has a lot of fantasy elements in the mix as well.

Xenosaga, although there was a bunch of people who bitched the cutscenes were too long an numbers, I loved. Haven't gotten a chance to ply star ocean yet, maybe when I can get some more free time...
quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
Hmmm..I thought it was only $100 in raw materials. Not alot of anime there [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

Some whacko academic did a study: If people are willing to take extra money to do dangerous jobs, then they must be assigning a value to their life - for X% chance of dying I'll take so much money - and so you can extrapolate to what it would take for a 100% chance of death. Across different kinds of dangerous jobs, it consistently trended towards a specific number; I think it was 100K.

I can see now why sci-fi conventions are listed with anime conventions. I have hardly any experience with it. The only sci-fi I have is Legend of Galactic Heroes, Dune, and Parasyte, unless mecha counts. And I haven’t played any rpgs since the Sierra games I had as a kid. I was never into the console games, either. Can you give me a comparison on how good these games are to some anime/manga?

wanfu2k1, I got the pressed CDs, too. I meant CD-Rom and not CD-R. My bad.

quote:
I can see now why sci-fi conventions are listed with anime conventions. I have hardly any experience with it. The only sci-fi I have is Legend of Galactic Heroes, Dune, and Parasyte, unless mecha counts. And I haven't played any rpgs since the Sierra games I had as a kid. I was never into the console games, either. Can you give me a comparison on how good these games are to some anime/manga?

...How good are console games compared to anime/mange? It's hard to say, because they're not really comparable. IMO, RPG's have a lot more value than anime, simply because they're cheaper and I spend more time with them. Xenosaga took me somewhere around 80-100 hours to complete, and it cost me $50. A typical 26 episode anime series costs around $150, and if I watch it twice (my usual limit), that would add up to around 25 hours. Thus I paid around $.50 an hour to play Xenosaga, while I would pay $6 an hour to watch an anime series. Of course, that comparison doesn't really take into account the enjoyment involved, which is the most important factor of course, but that's how I think of it anyway. I'd also like to add that longer isn't necessarily better, though cheaper is always good. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

But if you haven't tried Japanese RPG's, and you're looking to "branch out" from anime/manga, then I would definitely give them a try. The Lunar series (PS1) is good if you want a simple yet moving story with lots of anime cut-scenes. Growlanser: Generations (PS2) is being released in a few days; it includes two games for the price of one that are supposed to combine a strong focus on story with a solid tactical element. I could comment more when I get my hands on it. All of the above titles have a retro-gamey feel, and fall squarely in the fantasy genre. Check out Xenosaga (PS2) and Star Ocean III (PS2) for something more modern. Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits (PS2) is another modern RPG with a good fantasy-based story and tactical elements, though it isn't anime-style. The Grandia series is also excellent, and is similar in style to Lunar. The first in the series (PS1/Sega Saturn) uses 2D anime sprites, while the second (Dreamcast/PS2/PC) relies on 3D models. They're both available on various platforms, though stay away from the PS2 version of Grandia II--I heard the port was terrible.

If you want to stick strictly to b-games, there's also Thousand Arms (PS1). The combat is rather repetitive, but the girls are quite cute (considering your screenname, I'm not sure if this is a factor for you [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]), and the dating element is actually central to building up your weapons. The story isn't the greatest, though it's serviceable I suppose.

quote:
The Grandia series is also excellent, and is similar in style to Lunar. The first in the series (PS1/Sega Saturn) uses 2D anime sprites, while the second (Dreamcast/PS2/PC) relies on 3D models. They're both available on various platforms, though stay away from the PS2 version of Grandia II--I heard the port was terrible.

The PC port also was terrible. It's done by Ubi Soft, and when you would do anything else than Fight or Cancel, like Defend, the game would bug. There's not a patch out, either.

Actually, I played the PC version. It wasn’t that bad (well it wasn’t great either). The only major problem I had was that the initial fight with Millenia lasted forever. You can’t progress if that happens. However, restarting from a saved game fixed it.

quote:
On Hitomi, I like the twist on the dark games, but if you like sick stuff, it might not be sick enough or if you like romantic stuff, it might be too dark, but I'm one of those that likes romantic games and dark games as long as they're not too sick. I liked Virgin Roster- I thought the boy's thoughts were pretty funny, like in the beginning when he thought it was a good thing that the ugly girls realized they were ugly and therefore not good enough for him. I didn't like Tsuki that much, cause there wasn't much to the boy. I'd rather he be either sexually frustrated and confused like in Hitomi or just not sorry at all like in Virgin Roster. I'd say Hitomi is enjoyable, but it doesn't touch Crescendo or Kana. To me, Crescendo, Critical Point, Desire, Kana, Private Nurse, and Chain are tight for their emotional pull and/or story, but most are degress of enjoyable with some horrible ones. Hitomi is one of those degrees of enjoyable.
As far as prices is concerned, I prefer to get these new games directly from G-Collections, considering that the prices have dropped from $49.95 to $39.95, they are the first ones to have it available, they ship it out the same day, Priority Mail S&H is included in the US, and every 6 games you buy, you get 1 free, so you end up paying only 29 cents more per game or $2.05 more overall for the 7 games over the Interact site that charges $29.95 + $4 S&H in the US per new game. I've been counting the g-money they send me with the new games, so someone post if this is not what you come up with.

I'm in the process of writing up a review for Hitomi. But let me say that it has its positive and negative aspects. I would describe this game as a cross between Crescendo and Tsuki, but not as "good" as either one.

I also prefer to buy directly from GC, but for a different reason. If you buy from a reseller, GC is getting less than half the retail price through wholesale. So by buying from GC directly, they're actually making at least double the profits.

And as mentioned, free shipping does make a difference. Since I (now) have all GC products, g-money (for the freebie game) isn't a consideration.

quote:
wanfu2k1, yep, I sure am. It sounds like your anime/manga/b-game collection could be scarier than mine. My manga collection is the only thing I have of value, and it's worth more than my life. Have you guys been into this awhile? Is there any other related field to get into besides anime/manga/b-games?

I guess it depends on how old you are. heheheh An old foggie like Wanu is old enough to remember the old anime like Star Blazers, Voltran, and American products like Flintstones, G.I.Joe, Smurf, He-Man, etc. We're talking late 70s, early 80s.

Manga has been around since the early 90s through Viz (i.e. Ranma 1/2 in comic book format) and Dark Horse (think Ghost in the Shell).

H-games started coming to the States in the early to mid-90s through JAST and Otaku.