Mangagamer (Previously "Hell may have frozen over?")

another game i would pay $80 for is demonbane because of the 3d graphics and cool battles

We’re b-gaming nuts: of course it be multi-paged. :wink:

The real question is: how long will it take until this topic gets derailed off topic? That’s the fate of all threads on this forum. :stuck_out_tongue:

As soon as you post twincest pics?

Don’t know what you’re talking about. :stuck_out_tongue:

And if I posted twincest from Which Girl Should I Choose? - it really isn’t off topic. Hmmm… you gave me an idea. :o

I had a look through the demo of ‘My Sex Slave is a Classmate’… I’m not sure what they’ve done with the font for this, but it’s spectacularly bad. :roll:

Yeah, I can definitely say that they’ll need to fix their fonts. Sometimes it sticks letters/punctuation marks together, while at other times, it puts odd spaces in between them.

Yeah, it’s the same case here. I can understand Japanese, so I can actually give them credit for the fact that they could get titles like Da Capo and actually putting it into readable English. Not to mention, I also respect the fact that they’re seemingly unhindered by releasing loli content, despite being in a country where loli is supposedly illegal. They do seriously need to improve their frequent proofreading errors, but I think we might be dealing with a company that may have been rushing to show off their HU3G starting lineup at Anime Expo, as many of their titles have release dates as early as July 10. If they can make an readable script, they’re probably capable of fixing these typos in a patch or two: If we want to decide if they’re a cheapass company who doesn’t give a damn or a potetially legit one who got off on the wrong foot, we’ll need to see how they’ll react to peoples’ demands to fix these errors when AX begins.

Plucking around with the “digital security” and my EVENTVWR log, I think it only makes an adjustment to the EXE file (account info) and throws something in the registry. I’m going to test this theory, but I believe if I just “cut and paste” the game folder with all its files - after the activation key has done its online thing - it can be moved to another computer. Doesn’t seem to be an overtly complex protection scheme. If this is the case (will know shortly), then its not too annoying I suppose… at least there’s no need to have the CD/DVD in the drive. Of course that also means piracy will rape the hell outta them, and it makes the online activation kinda moot and useless.

Uhhh… I wouldn’t recommend making posts that could give way to condoning piracy if I were you…

But another question: Is it possible to simply burn the downloaded games onto a CD/DVD so you wouldn’t have to deal with the activation issues when you reinstall them? You know, like what you can do with V-Mate games?

Not condoning piracy. I hate it beyond hate. Just seeing how useful or useless the security is - and pointing out that if this thing is that simplistic, they either need to:

list Make it more secure.

(b) Just get rid of it.[/list]

Not to mention, I wanted to know what they hell my PC sent to them. Wasn’t sure if they were legit or not - so it had me worried.

But if your worried this is too much of a gray area, then I won’t post my findings. Consider it a closed case. I won’t speak more if it.

That’s pretty much exactly what he’s testing, if I read the post correctly.

THEY say no, they say if you change anything about your computer at all you burn up an install and after three such, have to buy it again (which makes buying from them a ‘no’ for me until backup solutions are in place).

Still, most anti-piracy solutions are aware that they only slow people down… they just hope to gain some extra sales in the period between release and crack.

So, you use up an activation attempt every time you install it, instead of downloading it?

Every time you install. Not to download, nor does it ever come up again after running the registration for that installation instance.

When you download a full game from them, its in a ZIP file. These files are the “installation disc” to the game. You still have to actually install the game somewhere on your PC. (and can delete the initially unzipped files after doing so). After doing that, hitting the “EXE” to start the game for the first time, makes it go do the online registration. Upon that phase, it will start the game. You will never need to have an online connection to start the game again - until you need to reinstall it from those installation files. What if you installed it on a DVD-RW? Don’t know. Hence my earlier post. But yea… I can see how that sounds a bit dangerous, so I won’t go there anymore.

Yeah, I can see where that DRM scheme poses a problem, because I often end up reinstalling my computer a few times every year. They’ll have to fix this too. They should make it either like V-Mate where you use up an attempt every time you download instead of install, or have a “Steam” style system where your copy is bound to your account so that you have unlimited attempts, but you have to have your account signed in during the entire time you play.

Heck, this could probably become an even bigger deal than the typos.

You’re raising a good point: both AX (in the USA) and AnimeExpo (in France, but the anime community in France is way huger than in the northern countries such as the Netherlands) are major cons. To miss them would hurt anyone seriously, so perhaps MangaGamers rushed their work a bit to meet the deadline.

Wait, there was AX in France, too? They did say they were coming to the one in the US, right? (Assuming they take place in the same month)

But aren’t first impressions everything? Isn’t it better to have one or two GOOD imported titles - then point out what other titles you have on the way - rather than half a dozen BADLY imported titles? I can imagine the looks of people playing these (if they have an on spot demo), as they run across the endless errors over and over again. It’s also kinda underhanded: when a guy is selling you something - especially at these prices - you expect it to be of some quality standard.

Beating a dead horse though…

I’m sure Peach Princess could release titles a lot faster, if they threw out the QA process. Would you want that? In fact, it brings up a somewhat interesting topic: Would you buy a game with low translation quality “out of the box”, with the promise that it would get better over time (so long as sales are good of course)? I guess that’s kinda a pointless question. After all, it works for Microsoft…

And for about every software in the world: it’s the principle of patches. When it reaches the point of SummerDays where the bugs prevented to play (because the game would crash so often), that’s a problem but otherwise? As I wrote, it’s a matter of reactivity: if MangaGamers acknowledges the problems and promises to release fast enough patches, why not?

Obtaining the licences is very hard, making a lot of people know you is hard, but promising patches once you have something to show and releasing them on schedule? Easy work.

If you were a company that had payed a lot of money to release a large starting lineup (can’t imagine Da Capo being a cheap license), you might not have a choice but to forego first impressions and get them as out as quickly as you can, as you’re probably sitting on a lot debt. I don’t like their mistakes either, but how many other nearby cons are there that are as comparable to AX? At least we’ll have a chance to let them know of these errors (and DRM problems) once they do show up at AX and they’ll have a chance to prove themselves by releasing patches that’ll fix the errors.

That is the million yen question: are they hacks, or were there exigent circumstances?

I am of the opinion there were exigent circumstances, but this is of course not knowable until we see the future. Aside from your point – which I defintely agree with – there is also the fact that the buy links aren’t visible from the main page, the main page says ‘open July 3rd’ yet Narg bought and tried something yesterday. And I’m not sure if I missed something, but there was an abrupt change in price? I saw a post to the effect of ‘the other guy is lucky he got the game before the steep price jump’. All these things combined make me think of another possibility:

Perhaps we ubar-hax0red into something not meant for public consumption yet. It is possible that everything was online but in a test mode (or something) and that they had their system up for testing but not for go-live. IF this is what happened, then it is also possible (possible) that what you bought, Narg, was something like a prerelease version, and the actual released product will … err … not suck.

I don’t think this is very likely, but it is certainly not impossible.

Initially, all games had one Euro price tags. That’s why the warning bells (scam/identity theft alert) went off for some of us.

Did they honor the originally listed price? It’d be interesting to find out how they billed his credit card.