Official Post about Shiny Days

If you need to copy and paste Seiya Saiga walkthroughs for any reason you can just open up the page source with CTRL+U on chrome and copy it there.

I can't install this game completely. Once it get's to part 14 it isn't being allowed to access parts of the download and crashes. Anyone know a way to fix this? Massive waste of my money at this rate.

@Mitch:
Have you checked the parts using the tool for a error free download? In doubt try disabling your anti-virus software, maybe it’s heuristic detects something in that particular part, prevents the access and crashes the installer.

Turning off my anti virus during the installation worked, thanks for the advice.

This walkthrough is working for me http://pastebin.com/8ZjzWCNE

As I play through, often revisiting scenes multiple times, all of the lines being voiced raised my awareness of something I don't usually pay attention to: translation accuracy. I haven't noticed any glaring flaws in the English, but the script is literally peppered with small translation errors. These are typically misinterpretations of a phrase that are isolated to a single line. In many cases, the subject or topic of the sentence is incorrectly disambiguated. These are mostly errors of carelessness, and it's pretty clear that whoever was translating the game was merely looking at the script and wasn't watching the scenes themselves / playing the game, which is a tad unprofessional. It's not enough to interfere with the experience, but certain scenes end up losing a bit of their coherence, especially since misunderstandings and ambiguity play a key role in some of the scenes. It's apparent enough that even those who don't know Japanese may notice some of the inconsistencies.

I suppose expecting a highly polished translation when the game probably won't even sell 5000 copies would be unrealistic--especially when 99% of users won't even be able to notice the mistakes, or if they do notice won't know that they're translation errors.

The girls translated when they call the other girls “chicks” kinda bothered me. We also have short responses like ??? or which image into “What kind of adult do you want to be?”.

There’s more but I don’t really remember since I mostly played it months ago.

'We also have short responses like ??????? or which image into "What kind of adult do you want to be?". '

I didn't count that as a translation error, since from what I recall it's a valid interpolation of the question in context (though it's not a literal translation). The problems I'm referring to are when a character might be referring to one person, yet in the translation they're referring to someone else. In the original Japanese, you know who they're referring to by context, including the preceding lines and the video itself. I've also noticed inappropriate translations of common stock phrases that have alternate meanings depending on the situation.

Like I said, these tend to be errors of carelessness. I didn't see a translation checker in the credits, so that's probably why these errors are present. They had editors to check for typos and awkward phrasing, but no one to correct equivalent errors in the translation itself. Ideally (with an unlimited budget) the translation probably should've gotten a TLC pass, preferably by someone actually playing through the game for the full context of all the situations.

It isn’t “a tad unprofessional” to translate only from a script. That’s how it’s done. I know some pro translators personally, and they all do it that way. And if you’ve ever read any of (say) XSeed’s or Mangagamer’s behind-the-scenes blog posts where they talk about translation, they also all say that this is how it’s done.

The real problem would appear to be a lack of good checking. Cross-referencing the translation against the original game is done later.

I think overall, most translators who works on Japanese stuff usually only know the language and how to translate it into English to a degree. Since a lot of people don't realise unless they have been to japan and spent time there learning social customs, behaviours etc. that differate from how western people would act in certain situations. They don't know how things are meant in a certain way than is apparent at first glance. As the Japanese put a lot of emphasise on body language and a specific meaning of what is said to another person.

Also what makes perfect sense in Japanese can often make no sense in the English language at all. So some translators choose to either find a matching western response, action etc. or choose to change it in a way that would make the scene, words etc. sense to the English audience playing or watching any Japanese product.

Or when someone is being formal in Japanese and when they are being informal, as it's sometimes not easy to tell when Japanese people switch between the two on the surface.

I noticed a few errors as well like curse words being used when technically Japanese don't have curse words, some rude words like say Kuso, Kisma etc. but they aren't curse words overall really.

Or when baka isn't being used to call Makato idiot, but jerk.

Overall I would say the translation suffers from a lack of editing from what I assume was the rush to get it out when they did. Along with some translations that no equal in western words was found.

One or two lines of dialogue that were missed like when Minami tells Makato about his cheating on Youko, though I got what she meant from her face and tone of words she was using, along with Makato response afterwards.

"I noticed a few errors as well like curse words being used when technically Japanese don't have curse words, some rude words like say Kuso, Kisma etc. but they aren't curse words overall really.

Or when baka isn't being used to call Makato idiot, but jerk."

Neither of these are TL errors.

They can be if they don't match the meaning or the context of the stuff in Japanese. It's one of the reasons why a number of English dubs and subs from the early 90's aren't so looked upon so fondly today. Because some of the translators used a lot of English curse words that jarred up what the dialogue, scene etc. meant in Japanese.

Or changing words in English versions that actually change how a character comes across as i.e. in Final Fantasy 8 English version. A lot of Squall's lines were mistranslated or misinterpreted that made him come across as a lot more of an ass than he was in the original Japanese version.

Overall a Translators job is to get this sort of stuff right as best they can, so they are overall I think TL errors the one's I mentioned before.

If they aren't Rooke, could you explain why they aren't?

"They can be if they don't match the meaning or the context of the stuff in Japanese. "

You haven't provided any reasons they're unsuitable. Japan 'not having any curse words' isn't a compelling reason, especially if you recognise that using the same techniques that the Japanese use will often produce completely different and sometimes undesirable effects in the English.

For genre fiction, or fiction meant to entertain, what you are looking to do is mirror the effects created in the Japanese in the English. This will mean sometimes adding context where there is none in the original, not mixing up perspectives (which is quite often for some reason, people familiar with Japanese think it's an acceptable technique when done in English with no warning whatsoever) and also recognising that because the English DO have curse words in their language, using rude but comparatively mild words will have a completely different (and also milder) effect than if you those similar words in Japanese. If you are seeking to mirror 'effects' then using curse words is more than acceptable, it's likely necessary.

TLing 'baka' to jerk is completely fine, depending on context.

Quickly expanding on this (because JAST doesn't have an 'edit' button like normal people.) In Japanese, things like droppingpolite speech can be considered, in itself, somewhat insulting. In Englishdropping polite speech is perfectly normal. So here you have the problem, in Englishyou have to go ‘further' to get a similar effect.

"And if you've ever read any of (say) XSeed's or Mangagamer's behind-the-scenes blog posts where they talk about translation, they also all say that this is how it's done."

A different approach might be preferable for an interactive movie like Shiny Days where much of the information is conveyed through visuals. To a lesser extent, translating from a script would be like trying to sub an anime episode from a script. I doubt professionals do that. The visual information can't be ignored since the information content in Japanese and English sentences is so different--that information may be required to correctly disambiguate a subject (which is often required in English but isn't in Japanese).

Just because you can use a curse word doesn't mean you have to.

You make it sound like Rooke that if no curse words were used, things in english don't work or feel impactful. Which I think isn't exactly true depending on what VN/ Anime etc. your talking about.

There is a difference between spicing the language up in order to get across dialogue, scenes etc. in english that the audience can understand what the original language was intending in the script or making it more interesting (at least in the translator or writers eyes). Than using curse words in places that does the product a disservice.

When other words could be used that get across what the original language intended it to in the first place. That feel like it's natural, fits the character's in question etc.

Using curse words aren't exactly a necessarily, most people can understand when someone is being rude without the use of curse words due to visual's like animation, sound like tone of voice and tension etc. As sometimes it can create context in places where none were meant to be, or actually weaken the context that was there already.

It can be lazy to use curse words, when the English language has a lot of words that can create the same mirror effect just as well or better at times than a curse word does.

Along with as well times when it can feel like the audience is being treated like they won't get something unless a curse word or action is being used, that they might know already what is being beamed to them. Than the translator believed when they chose to use a curse word or change something from the original script.

The lines between the two are there, but they aren't easy to recognize and translators are always walking a thin line in that regard in their effort to be true to the original product and the people who made it, but making it accessible to foreign markets and audiences.

Whom we can all agree have varying expectations and tastes when engaging in foreign series. Since you deal with a vast niche audience in each country like USA, UK, Canada and others.

Same if the original language director, writer etc. involve themselves in the localization of their product as has been the case with Studio Ghibli films and Neon Genesis Evangelion. Where changes were approved by them that they felt still fitted what they want to get across.

I think curse words in any work of fiction when used right are great, but sometimes it can just feel like they were used in places where they feel ill fitting, too strong in context, meaning or unnatural to the dialogue, scene or character in question.

The School days translation by Sekai project from what I can remember (haven't played SD for a while so correct me if I am wrong). Didn't have any curse words in the translated text, and got across what the characters were saying perfectly well without having to use curse words to create a mirror effect (this includes h scenes as well).

Along with overall the translated dialogue feeling like it fitted the Japanese setting, plot and characters.

So it ended up creating a bit of a jarring effect for Shiny Day's for me and the translation didn't come off for me as much as it did for School Days.

Overall it can come down to what the product's setting is, what it's characters are like, and if curse words are likely to come up a lot like they would in a series like Black Lagoon.

In Shiny Days, I personally felt the curse words were to some degree out of place and made the scenes they were in weaker and less impactful, so to me they felt like TL errors that could have been avoided.

Making me feel that if other words had been used, the dialogue, scene etc. could have worked better.

It just weakened what the translated script was trying to get across to me.

To someone else they probably were fine and fitted what was being said or shown to us. So YMMV overall on it.

This is just my view on it. But I do think you make a good point overall Rooke and I agree with some of your points depending on which series we are talking about.

About the polite speech, Since Japanese social custom is to a degree based on how polite you are to others, especially your seniors. You have to be careful how far you drop it in english, since drop it too much or too quickly. It can screw up what the script is calling for.

It's another balancing act that translators have and always will have to deal with.

Just bought the game last night, used the download checker and it says everything was OK, but when i try to play the game i get a EXEMODULE window saying Graphicsbase???? or Soundbase????????????.. i installed and reinstalled it a few times but i keep getting the same error, i downloaded the patch and also the restoration patch and added it in properly but i still get the same exemodule error. Ive ready somewhere that it might be my DirectX, but im pretty sure i already have the new directx 11. Please help, i dont know what to do anymore. (P.S. also tried opening it as a administrator, still the same error)

Windows version?

Windows 7

So, has anybody been having trouble with the PLAY DATA in the REPLAY menu? Every time I try to select one of my save data, I get hit with a black screen and it just freezes causing the to the game to NOT RESPONDING. Is there a way to get around this? I hope there's going to be a follow up patch to fix this problem, because like SCHOOL DAYS HQ, I do like to just sit back and watch my save data endings without having to make choices.