Refresh my memory, Lamuness...

gets all confused
Well, you’re still a descendant of your ancestors. I don’t think you get any traits from the generations after you.

Being of Asian descent means you’re ancestors are Asian. (i.e. you are a genealogical step down from the “Asian” we’re refering to.) Being of Asian ascent would mean your children are Asian. Your ancestors are your ascendants and your children are descendants. So unless you have kids and they’re the “Asian” we’re refering to, saying one is of Asian ascent sounds a little odd since we usually we reference our ethnic identity based on the generation before. (Okay, that’s way too much bloody thinking for the off topic thread…)

quote:
Originally posted by olf_le_fol:
Errrrrrrrrrr................. ^^;;;;;;
As far as I understand it, my ascent are the people in the generation before me while my descent is the generation after me. Right?
Anyway, my ancestry (and myself, in fact, 100% Asian, born in Vietnam and raised as such :)) is Asian.
And tradionalist as traditionalist can go.

Nope. Not true at all. Ascent is never used in a geneological [sp?] context. You are a descendant of your ancestory and so are descended from them. You are thus of Vietnamese descent.

Ahhh...the wonderful world of grammar flaming. Wait, that wasn't a flame...hmm...I think you forgot a 'you suck' in there somewhere? ;)

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
Being of Asian descent means you're ancestors are Asian. (i.e. you are a genealogical step down from the "Asian" we're refering to.) Being of Asian ascent would mean your children are Asian. Your ancestors are your ascendants and your children are descendants. So unless you have kids and they're the "Asian" we're refering to, saying one is of Asian ascent sounds a little odd since we usually we reference our ethnic identity based on the generation before. (Okay, that's way too much bloody thinking for the off topic thread...)

Considering the off topic thread got its start because I had been playing altogether too much Persona 2, and went all philosophical on some poor random thread...I'd say you're not quite right :)

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
Considering the off topic thread got its start because I had been playing altogether too much Persona 2, and went all philosophical on some poor random thread...I'd say you're not quite right [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

That's because you're not me. When I'm all philosophical, I'm drunk. Thinking has nothing to do with it... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

quote:
Nope. Not true at all. Ascent is never used in a geneological [sp?] context. You are a descendant of your ancestory and so are descended from them. You are thus of Vietnamese descent.
Ah, okay. It's fun, then, because in French, you'd say "vietnamese ascent", hence my confusion. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

Ah yes French…
I always hadthe darnedest time with ‘former’ and ‘latter’…

Off-Topic Thread… I’ll try that…

I know French, infact it’s my mother toung!

About the conversation above, I’m concidered a n00b here though right? Just checkin’…

quote:
Originally posted by olf_le_fol:
Ah, okay. It's fun, then, because in French, you'd say "vietnamese ascent", hence my confusion. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

Hmm, I didn't realize that's how it was in French. Then again, I don't know French. There are days I barely know English. I just make weird squeaky noises. Or maybe I'm just unhinged...

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
Hmm, I didn't realize that's how it was in French. Then again, I don't know French. There are days I barely know English. I just make weird squeaky noises. Or maybe I'm just unhinged...

I for one don't think it's French... Sorry.

so just to add some randomness to this topic (it always needs more ):

Has anyone else lost their soul to Star Wars Galaxies?

quote:
Originally posted by ladyphoenix:
so just to add some randomness to this topic (it always needs more [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img] ):

What!? They didn't remove that functionality? They're in clear breach of my nonagression pact...I'll have to go summon the hordes from their lunch hour.

Oh, and ladyphoenix - if I wanted to write up a review of some older bishoujo OVA would you post it?

quote:
so just to add some randomness to this topic (it always needs more [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img] ):

No

i’m assuming by OVA you mean an anime and not a game…if that is the case, I am afraid I have to say no…my website focuses on bishoujo GAMES that have been translated to English…it’s very specific about content

::bounces to try to make the refusal easier to take::

quote:
i'm assuming by OVA you mean an anime and not a game...if that is the case, I am afraid I have to say no...my website focuses on bishoujo GAMES that have been translated to English....it's very specific about content

::bounces to try to make the refusal easier to take::

That's okay. It's arguably either shoujo or bishoujo (which is actually a kind of shounen), and it wasn't particularly great either; but it was kind of unusual. And it was probably one of Megumi Hayashibara's first roles. It's a stand alone 1 hour OVA produced in the early '90s.

...I figured it might be kind of germane ^^ but it's not really...

quote:

Sorry, I believe Nandemonai-san has the option on my soul.

quote:

Nope, I refuse to play any more verant games, although EQ2 will be sooo tough to resist. Verant are money hungry bastards who charge extra for customer service.... I always thought customer service was supposed to come WITH the game.

Plus after Everquest I really should not get into a game like that again, I basically quit my job just to play more. Scary!

GOOD GOD!!

The Off Topic thread is DEAD!?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by Bigdog:
GOOD GOD!!

The Off Topic thread is DEAD!?!?!

No, people still post to it every now and then. But is it generating a page of posts in one day anymore, like it did at first? Nope.

I for one got busier. And now I'm tired. Nite =)

quote:
I for one got busier. And now I'm tired. Nite =)

You're not the only one. First time I read your post, I thought you say you had gotten "bustier", which if you have, I really don't want to know about...

Okay, for all the multilingual humans here, how does one say "I'm not wearing any pants" in a language other than English, Japanese, Spanish or Latin?