So how many here watch anime and read manga

I wouldn’t even think of trying to read a Japanese novel. I can barely make it through manga! Wish I could though. I’d love to read the novels Crest of the Stars and such were based on.

[This message has been edited by ekylo (edited 09-08-2003).]

Actually I might think about taking a stab at reading Maria-sama ga miteru (marimite), an awfully popular Japanese novel right now.

Yeah reading japanese novels would be tough. Luckly we might start gettting translations of some of more popular novels. Onegai Teacher Novel is set for release in november. Hopefully Del Rey or ADV will start up a novel section along with their manga section. There’s a few novels that I’m curious about

Wai! Wai! Okay, I’ll stop since that’s starting to even disturb me…

I happened to stop by Waldenbooks last night right when they were putting out the Chobits Special Edition! So Chi’s already sitting on top of my computer desk, distracting the heck out of me. Not sure how they’ll work the ending out in the anime version, should be interesting.

I think I’m going to have to start rotating my manga series like I do my anime series, it’s getting a bit hard on the budget. At least all these things are coming out now when I have a job and can actually indulge myself occassionally.

Come on That’s what credit cards are for Maybe I should stop by my waldens, but I already have it preoreded in borders…arrrgghh the decisions.

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
I wouldn't even think of trying to read a Japanese novel. I can barely make it through manga! [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img] Wish I could though. I'd love to read the novels Crest of the Stars and such were based on.

[This message has been edited by ekylo (edited 09-08-2003).]

Send me an email. I have a friend who has a friend that can hook you up with TRANSLATED 'fansub' copies of the novels (before you get all huffy, you ALSO are buying an original copy of the novel...)

And yes, this friend of my friend is the actual source. And I've got copies of the first few, so I know it's legit.

quote:
Wai! Wai! Okay, I'll stop since that's starting to even disturb me...

I happened to stop by Waldenbooks last night right when they were putting out the Chobits Special Edition! So Chi's already sitting on top of my computer desk, distracting the heck out of me. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] Not sure how they'll work the ending out in the anime version, should be interesting.

I think I'm going to have to start rotating my manga series like I do my anime series, it's getting a bit hard on the budget. At least all these things are coming out now when I have a job and can actually indulge myself occassionally.

!

Waldenbooks and Borders, right? I may have to run to Borders tomorrow.

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
!

Waldenbooks and Borders, right? I may have to run to Borders tomorrow.

Yup Waldenbooks are borders are owned by the same company. it's not suppose to be released until next week but certain Waldens been selling them early.

quote:
Send me an email. I have a friend who has a friend that can hook you up with TRANSLATED 'fansub' copies of the novels (before you get all huffy, you ALSO are buying an original copy of the novel...)

And yes, this friend of my friend is the actual source. And I've got copies of the first few, so I know it's legit.

A
Ahh the guy that actually translated the novels. Forgot what his website addy was. but yeah you need to buy the book from him to get his translations. He sells the book at a slightly higher price.
quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
Ahh the guy that actually translated the novels. Forgot what his website addy was. but yeah you need to buy the book from him to get his translations. He sells the book at a slightly higher price.

Maybe itr's the same guy, I'm not sure - I duno about any website, I just got them through a mutual friend,

quote:
I picked up Rune Soldier Louie on a whim and end up loving it. (And I really like the opening song for some reason.) Sigh, I may just have to bite the bullet and just subscribe to Newtype USA already. This month's sample was from Angelic Layer. I really loved the manga and now I'm all excited about the anime!

I've been waiting for Angelic Layer to come out for over a year, since I saw Fan Dubbed
version of the 1st 3 episodes. Note I spend about $50 to $100 US per month on entertanment depending what is on sale.

quote:
Originally posted by woodelf:
I've been waiting for Angelic Layer to come out for over a year, since I saw Fan Dubbed
version of the 1st 3 episodes. Note I spend about $50 to $100 US per month on entertanment depending what is on sale.

I watched a fansub of the first episode and was irritated to the point of not ever having any interest in any more. I also really like Card Captor Sakura. I don't really understand it either...

quote:
I watched a fansub of the first episode and was irritated to the point of not ever having any interest in any more. I also really like Card Captor Sakura. I don't really understand it either...

Hmm, to tell you the truth, if I had just seen the episode, I don't know how into it I would have gotten. But I enjoyed the manga very much. Being more action oriented, I felt that it would come over pretty well with the fights being animated and I'm looking forward to seeing it. Hmm, havn't gotten into Card Captor Sakura myself. One of these days maybe. (Although, I heard the series was a pretty huge set...)

I'll drop you an email a bit later about those novels. (And why would I get all huffy? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img] ) It's better than me trying to get copies of the original myself. I mean, when I'm going to the local stores that carry original Japanese manga, it usually takes me several tries before I can correctly identify or find a series I'm looking for. I'd hate to see how long it would take me to hunt down the novels...

quote:
Hmm, to tell you the truth, if I had just seen the episode, I don't know how into it I would have gotten. But I enjoyed the manga very much. Being more action oriented, I felt that it would come over pretty well with the fights being animated and I'm looking forward to seeing it. Hmm, havn't gotten into Card Captor Sakura myself. One of these days maybe. (Although, I heard the series was a pretty huge set...)

I'll drop you an email a bit later about those novels. (And why would I get all huffy? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img] ) It's better than me trying to get copies of the original myself. I mean, when I'm going to the local stores that carry original Japanese manga, it usually takes me several tries before I can correctly identify or find a series I'm looking for. I'd hate to see how long it would take me to hunt down the novels...

But remember the Japanese version was too
complex for the average american kid, so they had to hack a lot out of it. Thus you have the orginal and a watered down TV version out in english. Get the athentic one if you can.

The R1 ccs should be 17 or 18 vols. If you include the 2 movies then it should be right around 20 vols. It’s actually a very good show if you get the unedited Card captor Sakura instead of the edited till you can’t tell what the origional was Cardcaptors. Also the unedited CCS is sub only.

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
The R1 ccs should be 17 or 18 vols. If you include the 2 movies then it should be right around 20 vols. It's actually a very good show if you get the unedited Card captor Sakura instead of the edited till you can't tell what the origional was Cardcaptors. Also the unedited CCS is sub only.

Which, in a way, is a shame. To me, 15+ volumes for a series is a bit long. Prior Clamp titles (Magic Knight Rayearth, et al) weren't that long anyway. Just for the record, the only serie I got that has 10+ DVDs in the set is You're Under Arrest.

Fortunately, for me at least, I watched CCS Spanish dubbed (which wasn't bad at all compared to Cardcaptors) all the way to the end.

[This message has been edited by fxho (edited 10-07-2003).]

quote:
I'll drop you an email a bit later about those novels. (And why would I get all huffy? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img] )

Some people get all upset over the concept of fansubs, so I preemptively pointed out that the translation comes with a legitimate copy.

quote:
Originally posted by fxho:
Fortunately, for me at least, I watched CCS Spanish dubbed (which wasn't bad at all compared to Cardcaptors) all the way to the end.

[This message has been edited by fxho (edited 10-07-2003).]

*valiantly restrains the urge to make very tasteless jokes concerning Sakura and Tomoyo with bad Spanish accents*

mmmfh mffcgg ehehhthd

*ducks under the giant hook trying to drag him off*

quote:
*valiantly restrains the urge to make very tasteless jokes concerning Sakura and Tomoyo with bad Spanish accents*

mmmfh mffcgg ehehhthd

LOL!

I will agree with you if by any chance you are referring to Spain's Spanish rather than Latin America Spanish . I couldn't stand certain (Spain's) Spanish dubs either. Kiki's Delivery Service comes into my mind right away (it sounds way too... Spaniard...). To make an analogy, imagine CCS cast with a British accent!

In my experience, (LAC) Spanish dubs are a lot better than US English dubs.

quote:

mmmfh mffcgg ehehhthd

Creak, whooosh, *** THUMP *** , snap

You forgot about the stage trap door.

[This message has been edited by woodelf (edited 10-07-2003).]