So how many here watch anime and read manga

I usually buy from this sites - just in case, I live in Canada:

Amazon.ca: as crazy as it may sound. However, books/mangas are worthwhile buying from them specially when there are no local distributors and they import them without any additional “charges” (just some wacky US $ → CDN $ conversion)

DVDBoxOffice : No shipping cost, discounts if you pre-order and have only to pay GST (as opposed to PST AND GST). BUT, their inventory seems to be pretty unreliable. I pre-order You’re Under Arrest the Movie and haven’t received it yet…

Rightstuf: if and only if they have something heavily discounted. Got Rayearth 1 and 2 (complete) for around US$100.00. The reason I don’t usually buy from them with normal discounts is because of customs taxes and shipping.

Virgin Megastore: As odd as it sounds, sometimes certain anime DVDs are cheaper buying from them locally than on-line. Unfortunately, those are very rare. R.O.D. was one of those when it was re-released locally by Manga. On-Line stores don’t reflect the new pricing.

In conclusion, I try to stay as local as possible to stay away from customs. Not only moneywise but also timewise. I ordered Onegai Teacher 1 w/box from Rightstuf but was held in custom for 3 weeks and had to pay more than CDN $15 in customs taxes. Unfortunately, there is almost nobody (if there is anybody, that is) that carries DVDs from Softcel, Anime18 or NuTech…

[This message has been edited by fxho (edited 10-25-2003).]

quote:
Originally posted by fxho:

DVDBoxOffice : No shipping cost, discounts if you pre-order and have only to pay GST (as opposed to PST AND GST). BUT, their inventory seems to be pretty unreliable. I pre-order You're Under Arrest the Movie and haven't received it yet...

Give them time, some anime takes over 18 months to arrive [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/frown.gif[/img]. They seem to carry only the viewed top 25 movies, and I can get them cheaper used from my local video rental.
I tend to stick with the right stuf,and only worry about b-games getting through customs.

PS. This last year has very few good movies out that you want to watch again.

I shop at, hold on, let me check on how to do UBB coding… Deep Discount DVD because they have free shipping, their dvd’s are usually incredibly cheap, and from where I am, there’s no tax either. Although, they stopped carrying a lot of the hentai anime.

But lately, I’ve been going to Digital Eyes because they’re about the same price as Deep Discount, though they have 2.90 shipping charge for the first dvd, and a .95 cent charge for each additional dvd, for the same order. But they have this neat Buyer’s point program. Every dollar is a point and when you get enough points, you get so much credit. Sometimes they have a doubles point week, and other such things. But they do have just about all the anime out there, which is a good thing.

And as for the hentai anime, I usually buy from Anisaki because they’re like freakishly cheap. A lot of their stuff is like thirteen dollars, eleven dollars, although, they don’t have a lot of the newly released ones, they still have an impressive collection. And they starting increasing their non-hentai stock as well, though some of them are region 2 dvds, but most are all region. And so far, I’ve had no problems with any of these places. Right on, right on.

------------------
精神 の 神

[This message has been edited by Seishin (edited 10-25-2003).]

quote:
Originally posted by Interzone:
- They helpfully mark down the customs value to $20, no matter how many discs you've bought. No customs charges, wheee!

Uh...isn't that illegal? It might not be such a good idea to mention that in public like this...

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
Uh...isn't that illegal? It might not be such a good idea to mention that in public like this...

Maybe. You've just drawn twice as much attention to it though! However, I've seen it discussed at the anime on DVD forums, which is far busier than here. Nevertheless I will edit my post slightly.

[This message has been edited by Interzone (edited 10-26-2003).]

While it’s a no no it is done all the time. Of course it would suck if your huge order get’s lost and your only insured for the smaller amount that you listed. Not sure about international orders, but usually I order enough from rightstuf that I get free shipping So it’s all good, plus with the membership card ADV dvds are 54% or so off right now.

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
While it's a no no it is done all the time. Of course it would suck if your huge order get's lost and your only insured for the smaller amount that you listed. Not sure about international orders, but usually I order enough from rightstuf that I get free shipping [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img] So it's all good, plus with the membership card ADV dvds are 54% or so off right now.

You can also get a nice paper general catalog for reading too. The adult one is perfect for the bathroom reading too.

quote:
Originally posted by woodelf:
You can also get a nice paper general catalog for reading too. The adult one is perfect for the bathroom reading too.

I so much want to comment, but I won't... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img] (btw, when did you hit your 1000 mark? Congrats! [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] )

The Right Stuf offer is tempting me quite a bit. There's a couple of ADV stuff I've been putting off but at those prices...

Haha bathroom reading, too bad it’s not in color Plus they got some nice coupons in the catalog that you can use when there isn’t any sales that you are interested in Now to see about finishing up ordering Rune Soldier Louie

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
Haha bathroom reading, too bad it's not in color [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img] Plus they got some nice coupons in the catalog that you can use when there isn't any sales that you are interested in [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Now to see about finishing up ordering Rune Soldier Louie

Get with the most of group here.

waffo waffo waffo

Rune soldier can wait until after the new year. Rune Explorers is a nice fun title if you don't have it too.

I came into the discussion late, but in answer to the question - I started to watch anime just this year, and I have yet to read my first manga. It’s funny because I used to enjoy comix when I was in school, but now the idea of static, B&W drawings in a foreign language (or translation) doesn’t have much appeal.

I’m pretty selective about the anime I watch, too. Most of it is comedy or light bishoujo fare such as Oh, My Goddess!, Love Hina, Hand Maid May, Please Teacher, Chobits, and of course anything from Studio Ghibli.

I try to avoid anime featuring mecha, crime, martial arts or superheroes. They just seem so, uh, comic-bookish and juvenile. There are a few series I make an exception for like Magic Knight Rayearth and Crest of the Stars, but that’s mainly because they have lots of cute girls.

Given my restrictive criteria, I guess I’ll exhaust the available series at some point. Fortunately, the producers have been able to satisfy my appetite so far.

quote:
Originally posted by perigee:
I'm pretty selective about the anime I watch, too. Most of it is comedy or light bishoujo fare such as Oh, My Goddess!, Love Hina, Hand Maid May, Please Teacher, Chobits, and of course anything from Studio Ghibli.

You might also want to check out Ai Yori Aoshi, Little Snow Fairy Sugar, Risky Safety, and hehe... Najica Blitz Tactics. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

Waffo! [img]http://www.gexus.com/seishin/yawn.gif[/img]

------------------
精神 の 神

[This message has been edited by Seishin (edited 10-30-2003).]

quote:
I came into the discussion late, but in answer to the question - I started to watch anime just this year, and I have yet to read my first manga. It's funny because I used to enjoy comix when I was in school, but now the idea of static, B&W drawings in a foreign language (or translation) doesn't have much appeal.

I'm pretty selective about the anime I watch, too. Most of it is comedy or light bishoujo fare such as Oh, My Goddess!, Love Hina, Hand Maid May, Please Teacher, Chobits, and of course anything from Studio Ghibli.

I try to avoid anime featuring mecha, crime, martial arts or superheroes. They just seem so, uh, comic-bookish and juvenile. There are a few series I make an exception for like Magic Knight Rayearth and Crest of the Stars, but that's mainly because they have lots of cute girls. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

Given my restrictive criteria, I guess I'll exhaust the available series at some point. Fortunately, the producers have been able to satisfy my appetite so far. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

You just started watching anime this year!! Oh My, so many titles you have missed !! I've been watching anime since I was young so I don't buy Manga because Anime here is Plenty [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]!! some old titles where "Astro boy" , "Voltes V or 5" , "Daimos" and "Dragon Ball" is also old it started in the late 80's !!

I'm wodering if you have watched Boys Be... yet , It has 13 episodes , the first 7 episodes weren't that good but the last 6 are really good !! the main story of it is about "childhood friends turned lovers , caught her cheating on him but not really, relationship got cold , but the love is still there , they both try to hide what they really feel for each other" !!! it also includes all their other friends love life's , thats why it would be hard to follow if you don't have all episodes !!!
[This message has been edited by dexter (edited 10-30-2003).]

Thanks for the recommendations! I’ll check them out. I already have these titles on my RightStuf wishlist, based on reviews.

Ai Yori Aoshi 1 DVD (Hyb): Faithfully Yours
Ai Yori Aoshi 2 DVD (Hyb): My Dearest
Ai Yori Aoshi 3 DVD (Hyb): Hugs and Kisses
Ai Yori Aoshi 4 DVD (Hyb): Truly Yours
Ai Yori Aoshi 5 DVD (Hyb): With All My Heart
Chobits 6 DVD (Hyb): My Only Person
DNA Squared 2 DVD (Hyb): Turbulence
Fruits Basket 1 DVD (Hyb): A Great Transformation? (eps 1-6)
Fruits Basket 2 DVD (Hyb): What Becomes of Snow? (eps 7-12)
Fruits Basket 3 DVD (Hyb): Puddles Of Memories (eps 13-19)
Fruits Basket 4 DVD (Hyb): The Clearing Sky
His and Her Circumstances [Kare Kano] DVD Box Set (Hyb)
Kimagure Orange Road TV Series DVD 1 (S)
Maison Ikkoku DVD Box Set 1 (Hyb) (eps 1-12)
Maison Ikkoku DVD Box Set 2 (Hyb) (eps 13-24)

quote:
Originally posted by dexter:
You just started watching anime this year!! Oh My, so many titles you have missed !! I’ve been watching anime since I was young so I don’t buy Manga because Anime here is Plenty !!

I should amend that to say I started to collect anime just this year. I didn’t have a DVD player before that. I have watched a little on broadcast TV, but it mostly seems to be the aforementioned mecha/martial arts genre that I avoid.

Occasionally something catches my eye on Tech TV’s Anime Unleashed, but often the subject matter is unappealing, too dark, or the story advances too slowly. I enjoyed the artwork and writing for Crest of the Stars, for example, but I was disappointed with the lack of resolution after watching the whole series and am debating whether or not I should get Banner of the Stars since I understand it also lacks a conclusion.

quote:
I enjoyed the artwork and writing for Crest of the Stars, for example, but I was disappointed with the lack of resolution after watching the whole series and am debating whether or not I should get Banner of the Stars since I understand it also lacks a conclusion.

Pretty much. Then again, they're trying to boil down novels into short viewing arcs of 13 episodes, so it's hard to quite "conclude" things. As much as I enjoyed the series, I just get the feeling I would really enjoy the novels more...

Hmm, nice wish list. Ai Yori Aoshi and Fruits Basket I personally believe are must haves. Kare Kano, while I think was a very interesting series, also really doesn't have a conclusion and I was kinda left going "huh?" Maison and KOR I can't say much on since I've only seen an episode here or there, not the whole series but I liked what I saw.

Hmm, I hate to say it but I think the thing I liked best about Najica Blitz Tactics was the commentaries by the English voice actors. But man, that show should probably have some sort of "panty counter" like the "jiggle counter"...

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
Hmm, I hate to say it but I think the thing I liked best about Najica Blitz Tactics was the commentaries by the English voice actors. But man, that show should probably have some sort of "panty counter" like the "jiggle counter"...

Yeah, the first commentary was hilarious because they were just doped up on genki drinks.

------------------
精神 の 神

quote:
Originally posted by Seishin:
Yeah, the first commentary was hilarious because they were just doped up on genki drinks.

I think they were beyond doped up. I kind of what to get a clip of how, er, I think it's Monica Rial, says "Yay! Panties!" For some reason, the way she says it just cracks me up. (Okay, I'm seriously disturbed...)

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
Pretty much. Then again, they're trying to boil down novels into short viewing arcs of 13 episodes, so it's hard to quite "conclude" things. As much as I enjoyed the series, I just get the feeling I would really enjoy the novels more...

It actually seems like they keep very close to the books. I've only read a translation of the first novel, but it doesn't seem likely that the novels are siginificantly different.

And I think the creator has stopped writing the novels. At least, I read an interview where a Japanese person said the novel series had ended. Doesn't mean I'm remembering right, doesn't mean it was translated was right, doesn't mean he knew what he was talking about. But I don't think there've been any new Crest/Banner of the Stars series either.

quote:

I try to avoid anime featuring mecha, crime, martial arts or superheroes. They just seem so, uh, comic-bookish and juvenile. There are a few series I make an exception for like Magic Knight Rayearth and Crest of the Stars, but that's mainly because they have lots of cute girls. ;)

I recommend Full Metal Panic and Escaflowne. They're mecha shows that are ANYthing but comic book-ish, OR juvenile. (They're completely different kinds of shows, but they are definitely not comic-book-type shows.)

Also, while it may not be everybody’s taste, I thoroughly enjoy Sakura Taisen. The OVA’s need some work, the TV series seems to have faded in picture quality over the years, but they’re all still good. Plus, the movie just kicks ass.

------------------
精神 の 神