So how many here watch anime and read manga

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
It actually seems like they keep very close to the books. I've only read a translation of the first novel, but it doesn't seem likely that the novels are siginificantly different.

Hmm, is it a novel per anime arc or are the arcs part of just one or two novels?

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
Hmm, is it a novel per anime arc or are the arcs part of just one or two novels?

I've only read the first, and that was months ago, but it seems like the first covers about half of Crest. I imagine it would continue to be approximately 2 books a season.

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
I've only read the first, and that was months ago, but it seems like the first covers about half of Crest. I imagine it would continue to be approximately 2 books a season.

Interesting. Thanks Nandemonai-san.

Actually I believe that the first 3 novels were scrunched together to make Crest. Then BoTS was 1 novel and BoTS II was another novel. I guess they figured out that there is enough material in each novel to do 1 series And the author did not stop writing more Crest novels just that he’s taking a hiatus to write some fantasy novels, He’s going back to writing more once he’s done with his fantasy fix

Perigee nice wishlist you got, based on what you liked to watch you will definately like AYA and Kare Kano. Although Kare Kano ends really badly the first half of the series is definately A+ material for Romantic comedy fans. KOR and MI are your classic Romantic comedy fare along with Tenchi Muyo.

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
Actually I believe that the first 3 novels were scrunched together to make Crest. Then BoTS was 1 novel and BoTS II was another novel. I guess they figured out that there is enough material in each novel to do 1 series [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img] And the author did not stop writing more Crest novels just that he's taking a hiatus to write some fantasy novels, He's going back to writing more once he's done with his fantasy fix [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

It turns out this is correct. I took a look at the liner notes for BotS I, where the creator in fact confirms this. He says that very little in Crest is original to the TV show because compressing the first 3 novels into 13 episodes was amazingly difficult.

quote:
Originally posted by perigee:
I came into the discussion late, but in answer to the question - I started to watch anime just this year, and I have yet to read my first manga.

I'm pretty selective about the anime I watch, too. Most of it is comedy or light bishoujo fare such as Oh, My Goddess!, Love Hina, Hand Maid May, Please Teacher, Chobits, and of course anything from Studio Ghibli.

I also am entering late, but I started to see a lot of Anime about the same time I started in Manga, and want to ask how the Chobits anime is? I am in the process of reading the Manga verison, but wondered if you would recommend the Anime?

A lot of the other anime perigee mentioned sums up much of what I have already seen, expect I can add Big O and one a girl I know wanted me to watched with her, the first volume of Someday's Dreamers .

My current habits seem to be read the Manga then see the Anime version, which is what I did with Love Hina which still tops my list at best Manga series so far with Chobits a very close second.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 12-12-2003).]

i love chobits, chii

quote:
Originally posted by ksarchet:
i love chobits, chii [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

I am finding the Manga to be very enjoyable, which is partly why I am curious about the Anime. So far I have not been disappointed in the ones I have read the Manga for first and then seen the Anime and hope that I am lucky enough to have that trend continue.

i read very little manga. I like the chobits anime.

The anime is good. I hope you got the limited chobits figure/box with vol 8 manga it’s awesome, hope TP keeps doing these kinds of things for their manga.

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
The anime is good. I hope you got the limited chobits figure/box with vol 8 manga it's awesome, hope TP keeps doing these kinds of things for their manga.

Now that you mention it I am picking it up tomorrow. It helps to be close to the girl that is manager for a local bookstore. She was kind enough to put one aside for me, well in exchange for lunch.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 12-12-2003).]

I thought the anime is well done, very funny and cute at times. Of course certain things come off better in the anime, other things better in the manga, but that’s how it usually goes. Although now that I’ve read the manga, I’m not sure how they’ll end it in the anime. Should be interesting.

quote:
I thought the anime is well done, very funny and cute at times. Of course certain things come off better in the anime, other things better in the manga, but that's how it usually goes. Although now that I've read the manga, I'm not sure how they'll end it in the anime. Should be interesting.

Before I ask my question please note I am only asking in general terms rather then any I guess 'spoliers' for this anime in case in you best guess the ending of the anime mirrors book 8. I still have Book 8 of the Manga to read.

Do the Anime's tend to have happier endings because they are geared in part to a different audience? Or does the general, at least what I have seen as a general trend in the movies of the often happy miracle Hollywood Endings not apply to the Anime either?

blink Hmm, don’t think I can answer that question myself. Rare has the series been that I’ve both seen the anime and read the manga to the end. Plus as was mentioned before, when there’s a divergence (for various reasons) between the manga and anime, that affects the storlines and the ending more often than not.

Well, I believe the general “happy miracle hollywood ending” doesn’t usually apply to anime. I think it’s part of the cultural mindset. Sports anime in particular is where I can see how things end up differently, Princess Nine comes to mind off-hand. If Hollywood had been behind that series, it would be a pretty good bet the ending would have been different. shrug Of course, you can probably come up with examples either way.

As for Chobits in particular, I really don’t have any guesses. They changed the pacing and the order certain events occurred in the anime, which changes the flow of the story. I would hope they do something similar to the manga ending, I’m just not really sure how they would accomplish it.

quote:
Plus as was mentioned before, when there's a divergence (for various reasons) between the manga and anime, that affects the storlines and the ending more often than not.

Well I figured there would be a divergence, from past experience with some Anime, partly because you are at times taking perhaps a 14 book series down to about 26 shows around 25 minutes each, that requires a lot of editing if you are even to try and stay true to the pacing. If not then you are taking characters that are known and placing them in a plasuable story that was never in the manga, that much I remember seeing to a point in what anime I have seen, but the endings were a mystery to me. Thank you for you answer.

It’s like ekylo says, SCDawg. Unless you’ve both read the manga and seen the anime, it’s hard to compare the two. All I can give you are my impressions of the anime. From what I’ve seen so far, the Chobits anime is very well-done, and compares favorably with a series like Love Hina. The artwork is great, the characters are appealing and the story really draws you in. It’s not as light-hearted as some of the other romantic comedies. There is more a sense of mystery and hints at a darker underlying story. I think there are still two DVDs awaiting release, so it’s hard to offer a full review until those episodes are available. All I can say is I think it is well worth getting, and I’m looking forward to the conclusion.

quote:
Originally posted by perigee:
It's like [b]ekylo says, SCDawg. Unless you've both read the manga and seen the anime, it's hard to compare the two. All I can give you are my impressions of the anime. From what I've seen so far, the Chobits anime is very well-done, and compares favorably with a series like Love Hina. The artwork is great, the characters are appealing and the story really draws you in. It's not as light-hearted as some of the other romantic comedies. There is more a sense of mystery and hints at a darker underlying story. I think there are still two DVDs awaiting release, so it's hard to offer a full review until those episodes are available. All I can say is I think it is well worth getting, and I'm looking forward to the conclusion.[/b]

Well thank you both for your answers to my questions.

No problem. I wish there were more manga and anime series where I’ve seen each through to the ending. At least both markets are expanding so at least there’s more opportunity for me to do both. Like Steel Angel Kurumi (which Nandemonai-san hates… ) I’m glad that manga got picked up, I was muddling through the Japanese version and it wasn’t going well…

sigh I don’t know if it’s because of the holiday season or problems with shipping with all the funny weather that’s been going on but I just can’t seem to find some of the latest titles. I was lucky enough to grab the last Pretear they had at the mall over the weekend. (And the store said they only got half of their order for some reason.) I think I’m going to have series anime withdrawal for awhile…

Actualy it’s more like 1 more dvd for chobits. as the last volume is mainly the recap episodes that they took out of their normal place and put in the last disc plus the bonus ova episode.