So how many here watch anime and read manga

So in short the last of the two Chobits DVD’s has nothing new on it or is the OVA new as in not seen on the other DVD’s?

Another question, do they sometimes reuse the endings from anime to anime, that is the ending theme? I am listening to the ending theme of the Love Hina anime, and for some reason from the first time I heard that ending it sounded very familar. Now I am racking my brains trying to figure out if that is just me mistaking another song or if I did hear it somewhere else with another Anime, and even songs I don’t fully understand the language of I usually have a knack for not mistaking two different ones as the same song.

As far as I know, the OVA is only on the last disc…

Hmm, I don’t believe they reuse the ending themes in anime. Or at least I can’t think of any where they did that. BGMs maybe, but not the ending theme. Closest thing I can think of is where the opening song for Comic Party (Kimi no Mama de) is on both the anime and the game soundtracks. (Not having played the game, I don’t know if it was used as the opening there as well.) Can anyone else think of anything?

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
Hmm, I don't believe they reuse the ending themes in anime. Or at least I can't think of any where they did that. BGMs maybe, but not the ending theme. Closest thing I can think of is where the opening song for Comic Party (Kimi no Mama de) is on both the anime and the game soundtracks. (Not having played the game, I don't know if it was used as the opening there as well.) Can anyone else think of anything?

Okay, then maybe it just is me, but I just played it again after watching one of the episodes I have on DVD trying to sort of hear it cold, and it still sounds like one from another anime I have seen in the past. Yet I cannot think of the anime.

Well if anyone else can think of anything all thoughts are welcome.

Not sure but I think that LH’s ending isn’t from some other anime, now that isn’t to say they couldn’t also use the same music for the games and other related things.

Okay, thank you, and you know, it has probably been said, but the music from animes in general somewhat surprises me. I know some have better music then others, but all of those I have watched thus far, have at least one if not many like in Love Hina which are excellent songs.

They are ones I expect to hear on radio (are any of them played on the radio they have that quality I think) which is a very wonderful change from the music in most cartoons from the United States, which, to me, still sound like one step up from '80’s video game music or perhaps take-off’s of 1960’s rock and roll songs like in the old Scooby-Doo.

Heh, I know what you mean. I really cringe at some of the theme songs I hear in cartoons nowadays…

I’m glad they started bringing more soundtracks over. Of course, I now have both the Japanese and the American releases of several of them. But until that part of merchandising opens up more, it looks like some of my funds will still go towards getting them from Japan. (Maybe it’s a good thing I havn’t picked up a region-free DVD player yet, heaven knows how much I’d be spending on R2 DVD’s then…)

quote:
Heh, I know what you mean. I really cringe at some of the theme songs I hear in cartoons nowadays...

I'm glad they started bringing more soundtracks over. Of course, I now have both the Japanese and the American releases of several of them. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img] But until that part of merchandising opens up more, it looks like some of my funds will still go towards getting them from Japan. (Maybe it's a good thing I havn't picked up a region-free DVD player yet, heaven knows how much I'd be spending on R2 DVD's then...)

Are there R2's then dubbed in English as well?

Yes, I can think of one maybe two themes from U.S. based cartoons that are actually creative and pretty good, but they are so over-used even in most of the advertising for the shows that they cease to feel original. I think too the Anime music or music from Anime's is far better at mood setting then much of what I have seen from other cartoons.

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
Are there R2's then dubbed in English as well?

Not usually. But I know enough Japanese that I can usually get a general gist of what's going on, I just won't know word for word what is being said. Especially if it's a series where I'm already familiar with the characters. I'm very tempted to buy Ai Yori Aoshi -Enishi- for example. But for some series, I havn't heard of any English license for them and for others, I'm just getting darn impatient. (Comic Party really comes to mind...)

I am starting to hear of series I did not even know existed, from the trailers that Pioneer or Bandai puts on their DVD’s, and sometimes wonder how such series did not make it to U.S. television when other much more violent series seem to have every incarnation on television.

Then again this is a strange nation, it will over look two people trying and perhaps do kill each other with very large guns, but even hint at anything slightly magical as being real or sexual or love between a human and something other then a human in a cartoon and you are suddenly a bad person. I am sure in some strange twisted logic it makes sense to someone.

quote:
Not usually. But I know enough Japanese that I can usually get a general gist of what's going on, I just won't know word for word what is being said. Especially if it's a series where I'm already familiar with the characters. I'm very tempted to buy Ai Yori Aoshi -Enishi- for example. But for some series, I havn't heard of any English license for them and for others, I'm just getting darn impatient. (Comic Party really comes to mind...)

Actually comic party is liscensed by RightStuf. It'll probably come out early 2004. I believe the manga for it is also comming out soon too. So you need another example [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

I have also heard the Manga verison of Crest of the Stars is being translated into English, the original 3 volume set I believe is what they mentioned. Sometime this spring.

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
Actually comic party is liscensed by RightStuf. It'll probably come out early 2004. I believe the manga for it is also comming out soon too. So you need another example [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

I know. I was using it as an example of one that I was getting impatient for it, not that it hasn't been licensed. (the "and for others" part...) I mean, they kept using images from the series all over the place last year. It was like being teased and taunted about it over and over again...

*shrug* I just couldn't think of a title off-hand that didn't have an English licensed announced. Oh wait, duh! *slaps self* To Heart hasn't been licensed. How could I forget that? *Sigh* Give me a break, I was up catching a late showing of "Return of the King" and had maybe 2 hours of sleep before dragging myself to work...

quote:
*shrug* I just couldn't think of a title off-hand that didn't have an English licensed announced. Oh wait, duh! *slaps self* To Heart hasn't been licensed. How could I forget that? *Sigh* Give me a break, I was up catching a late showing of "Return of the King" and had maybe 2 hours of sleep before dragging myself to work...

*slaps Ekylo a couple more times*

Actually, To Heart manga is already licensed and schedule for release in April 2004. (I know the anime hasn't been licensed yet).

quote:
Originally posted by fxho:
*slaps Ekylo a couple more times*

Actually, To Heart manga is already licensed and schedule for release in April 2004. (I know the anime hasn't been licensed yet).

What is To Heart that is does it exist in another form already?

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 12-18-2003).]

quote:
What is To Heart that is does it exist in another form already?

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 12-18-2003).]

Wow - I didn't think anyone who hung out on this board wouldn't have heard of To Heart. It's one of the most famous bishoujo games ever, to the point where it was the first b-game that got made into a TV show (not OVA, TV show).

I've never played it, but my understanding is that it's a high school slice of life drama, kind of like the anime but not.

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
Wow - I didn't think anyone who hung out on this board wouldn't have heard of To Heart. It's one of the most famous bishoujo games ever, to the point where it was the first b-game that got made into a TV show (not OVA, TV show).

I am not sure if To Heart is the most famous ever, but I would like to point out Doukyuusei 2 and Sentimental Journey (based on Sentimental Graffiti) made to the TV before To Heart.

I can really annoy people at times, where I know stuff that they gape at my knowing and don’t know stuff that is common knowledge amongst about 95% of the population. I guess this is one of the latter times .

Sounds interesting, but was it very intense for a game? That is it sounds something close to being more or less what they would call a drama? Not that Kana was not dramatic and intense in it’s own way now that I think about it.

quote:
Originally posted by fxho:
I am not sure if To Heart is the most famous ever, but I would like to point out Doukyuusei 2 and Sentimental Journey (based on Sentimental Graffiti) made to the TV before To Heart.

Don't confuse me with the facts!

...I mean, uh, thanks.

quote:
I can really annoy people at times, where I know stuff that they gape at my knowing and don't know stuff that is common knowledge amongst about 95% of the population. I guess this is one of the latter times [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img].

Don't worry about it. You can't be expected to know everything. And it's not like people always pay attention to our ramblings. If they did, certain subjects wouldn't keep appearing over and over.

But one of the reasons I was whapping myself was that To Heart and Comic Party was made by the same group of people. They even use the To Heart characters briefly in the begining of the Comic Party anime. That's one of the reasons I was whapping myself, if I remembered Comic Party, I should have thought of To Heart immediately...

quote:
Sounds interesting, but was it very intense for a game? That is it sounds something close to being more or less what they would call a drama? Not that Kana was not dramatic and intense in it's own way now that I think about it.

Hmm, from my "playing" of the game, I don't think it's "intense", although I use the term "playing" very loosely. (It's one of the rare untranslated games I've made an effort at.) But from what little I can understand, it's very story focused and I'm enjoying what I can understand.

quote:
Hmm, from my "playing" of the game, I don't think it's "intense", although I use the term "playing" very loosely. (It's one of the rare untranslated games I've made an effort at.) But from what little I can understand, it's very story focused and I'm enjoying what I can understand.

So it is not so much intense then as it is more or less, this is probably going to make it more cheesy then intended, an after school special sort of focus on a slice of high school life?

quote:
Don't worry about it. You can't be expected to know everything. And it's not like people always pay attention to our ramblings. If they did, certain subjects wouldn't keep appearing over and over.

Ah just sometimes that I think all my knowledge is so specialized I miss out on some of the more interesting and fun aspects of the gaming, manga and anime worlds.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 12-20-2003).]