Tell me a little more about Family Project

Has anybody heard anything yet about download orders being processed? I’ve still not heard anything, although it seems that the non-download version is basically “old news” now.

I bought the download version yesterday evening, and when i woke up this morning, the download was ready.
Also there’s no charging for shipping anymore, so everything seems to be working, finally :stuck_out_tongue:

too bad im not home atm, and have to wait till saturday to play it

Family Project is lagging my PC like no tomorrow (100% CPU all the time), and I play 3D games like NWN2 and WoW with no problem. Not that this situation is all that uncommon with bishoujo games–there’s a few other games that do the same thing to me. But come on, the developers need to code their games better so they don’t automatically max out your CPU. It’s not only irritating; it wastes power.

I found a program (BES) that reins Family Project in: http://mion.faireal.net/BES/#download
It’s not automatic, but it lets you set how much CPU you want a particular process to consume. Great for those processes that automatically use 100% CPU even when only a fraction of that is necessary to run at full speed. I’m currently using this for Family Project.

Another more automated program (Process Tamer): http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/proctamer/
A great tool that automatically limits resource-hungry applications to allow other processes to run smoothly. Doesn’t keep processes that automatically use all your CPU from doing so, but at least tames them a bit so other processes can run (your CPU will still be 100% though).

That is very odd. You sure it isn’t some sort of issue with drivers, since you said there are a few other games that do the same thing? I don’t think this is like Starcraft, which used to peg your CPU in busy waiting, since I don’t think it’s happening to a lot of other people.

One question, which is better, this game or Cross Channel? They’re both written by the same guy, but they have their own things going for it, KK has Norio Wakamoto and Cross Channel was apparently good enough to impress Kinoko Nasu… okay, unfair comparison, but I haven’t played either game yet.

What OS are you on Shiki? Do you have any codec packs installed?

I’m on Vista x64 and Task Manager says 25% total usage at all times with FP running, and it’s actually using all four cores.

The game uses 50% for me. I’m on dual core. It seems to nearly max one of the cores and use only a bit of the other. I’m on Windows 7 64 bit.

If Dark Shiki is only on single core, it seems like there’s a pattern of it using one full core…

Mine’s dual core, but I’m running XP, which isn’t optimized for dual cores. If I was running a 64-bit operating system, I bet it’d run at 50%. Codec-wise, I have the Community Codec Pack and some ATI codecs (came with the video card) installed. In any case, there’s no reason for an ADV more than 5 years old to use more than 10% of the CPU on any modern PC.

Make sure FAMILY.exe and KZNRUS.exe are added to the do not use list for ffdshow.

Codecs should only be utilized during movies (like the opening). Adding the exe’s to the “do not use” list does nothing (actually, it doesn’t even stop DirectShow from coming up during the OP).

Play both. If it comes to comparing them, I’d say CC is better myself, but you can’t compare them; they’re far too different.

Yeah, yeah, the old D.O engine busyloops. It sucks, sure, but the game is quite old + that wasn’t such a rarity. Most eroges are fine nowadays.

Less than you think; plus it’s only running while you’re reading it - it’s not like it’s something you keep running all the time.

Speak for yourself. :stuck_out_tongue: I keep my eroge running in the background even when I’m not playing them. I don’t like bothering to save and reload later.

I can’t beleive how long this VN is (at least the common route… just like with Snow Sakura).
I only completed Haruka and Aoba’s path but for now I’m a little disapointed.
This game is really good, but with all the promises about how great it would be + the long wait, I was maybe expecting something far more spectacular… or maybe it only lacks a little bit more ero content. :lol:

I don(t remember who asked what’s better between KK and Cross Channel, but I prefer Cross Channel (captivating plot + awesome arts)

I still have to go for Matsuri, Masami and Kei and I’m enjoying it (when you’re done with the common path it becomes more interesting).

Thanks PP for this great release :slight_smile:
I hope you’ll release more light VN 'even if it’s not the trends it seems… ;()

(argh after that I’ll have to play Shuffle, Edelweiss, Shera my whitch, heart de roommate (if it works now), ishika and honori, kirakira, suika, etc… and I’ll soon also receive Cosplay fetish academy and downhill night)

You’ll be fairly happy with Cosplay Fetish Academy in terms of "light"eroge. It isn’t as deep as Family Project, but it is far more impulsive, fun, and just off the wall silly. Some people have slammed it because of this, but I loved it because of all the quirkiness.

Actually, it is one of the few VN’s that have managed to be as fun as Snow Sakura, which is my favourite VN.

Is there something more when you gat all the endings ?
(I just didn’t get the bad ending after reinstalling it so I want to be sure just in case)

Well, “great” it, IMO, but then it’s a a term relative to each person. KK isn’t supposed to be “spectacular” the way C+C is, for instance, one resting on a heartwarming, healing, family every day (or so) and the other on the plot. I think it’s more important to know why a game is supposed to be great than to merely stop at that. For instance, whereas I think Demonbane to be a great game, many people consider it a weak Nitro+ title but then I’m a fan of epic stories, Lovecraft, magic and giant robots so obviously it affects me more than most people (amidst whom only very few are probably Lovecraft fans).

I think it’s sad that because of - I guess, poor marketing? - a lot of people have now played and not enjoyed a game that is, quite simply, unparalleled in its field and will likely remain this way because their expectations were not met. This is like Kitto, sumiwataru asairo yori mo, - it is an utterly fantastic game and I recommend it to anyone that can read it, but it’s sitting on EGS with a median of something like 70% !!! because people were upset that you couldn’t bang Waka (or any of the other girls beyond the main one- it’s a single-route game). It’s fucking awesome and everyone I’ve talked to agrees with me- it’s a 90% title or so at least. And that’s what I’m seeing here; it really hurts to see people saying Kazoku Keikaku was a letdown. I went and replayed Kazoku Keikaku earlier this year, and it was just as good as I remembered.

I dunno, the heartwarming family feeling was exactly what I was looking for in KK, and I was very disappointed. I think that in my case the major problem was that the viewpoint character was such an ass, and his reactions were so often diametrically opposed to mine, that it was hard for me immerse myself in the game. Between that and the antics of the father guy, I spent a lot more time feeling irritated than heartwarmed.

Just curious, but do you think coming out pretty close to the release of Shuffle! was another reason KK didn’t do so well?