the big announcement your guess

Nice, I’ve always wanted to get a nice boat ending.

Well, Da Capo sucks, and I’m not sure about anything from Innocent Grey having been confirmed.

So we have EF and Dear Drops on one side; and Demonbane, My Girlfriend etc., Eien no Aselia and School Days on the other.

I’m not saying Mangagamer is not publishing good titles, quite the contrary. If it wasn’t for Mangagamer, we wouldn’t be getting all this good titles - not even from JAST. Still, the feeling is that they need another good announcement to get back on track. And I’m sure we’re gonna get that announcement quite soon :smiley:

Wait… You think Osaidai and School days are great? Jast has demon bane and Eien no Aselia MangaGamer has ef and dear drops.
[color=#FFFFFF]LoL[/color]

Edit: so its pretty equal
But majority has already played Eien no Aselia, Osaidai,and ef. So majority WONT be buying them

Still, even if it’s not Innocent Grey, the only other companies that have games that match what they described are elf and C’s Ware and those have a pretty good lineup.

I too, wonder what the requirements will be…
The original SD was 640x480 video; the new one is 800x600 video… not HD video, so requirements shouldn’t be too high. I also noticed that HQ has been reanimated (not sure to what extent; but noticed it on the first comparison shot I checked). So if you haven’t played HQ yet, there’s a good reason to look forward to it, even if you have played the original…

As for requirements…

The jp 0verflow HQ site says :
O S? WindowsXP?Vista?7
C P U? ???,???2GHz?? (requires multicore?)
? ? ?? 1GB??
H D D? USB???HDD???
VIDEO? 800x600???
PCI Express x16 VRAM 64MB?? (requires PCI Express??)
DirectX9.0??
SOUND? PCM???

I’m downloading the demo now, to see if these are recommendations or strict requirements. [I don’t have a real multicore (single core with hyperthreading fake multicore), and still using an old AGP card.]

As for skipping around the novel… as usual you can save anywhere. On regular SD [I assume it’s the same on HQ] you can pause, play, 2x, 4x or fast skip. You can hear everything going fast in 2x speed; unless you choose silent mode; which will make it quiet when you fast forward.
But, in all speeds you can see the subtitles, and you can always open up the backlog.

It pauses at choices but…
Choices in School Days can be killer though! You have a limited amount of time to choose one or the other… or if you don’t choose anything a third non-commital choice will happen :open_mouth: What’s really impressive about SD besides being fully animated… is the amount of paths to choose from…

Anyways, never thought I’d see the day School Days is finally going official! [Next the anime needs to be officially released!]

One warning I should give everyone…
AVOID SPOILING YOURSELF ABOUT SCHOOL DAYS!
…If possible anyways. I imagine it will be the most fun if you go in knowing nothing about it. Many twists…

Let’s not forget Tenkuu no Yumina, which the majority have not played and which is in fact a high quality game. If by your previous standards they were equal, adding this in would give Jast the edge. Regardless of which company is “better” (I don’t see any point in arguing about that as it’s entirely too subjective) we can say with certainty that the competition between them has only been good for us.

yeah that i really want to play

Fixed.

Doesn’t change the fact that they played them ;_;!

wow really great annouments. I never thiught School Days would get licenced. All three annouments are nose bleed worthy

I think only one of those games has a complete patch available, though, and are you implying that JAST’s market is nothing but pirates?

I think only one of those games has a complete patch available, though, and are you implying that JAST’s market is nothing but pirates?
[/quote]

No just majority of people have played ef,osaidai,and maybe school days.

But the majority of Jast’s current client base haven’t played them. Most people who buy games from Jast are neither pirates nor are they fluent in Japanese. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve said this repeatedly in the past in other threads, but I guess it bears rerereiterating in this thread :wink:

I was at ACen once years ago, and I attended one of the panels run by industry reps where they talk about the industry. And this particular guy was talking about Cat Girl Nuku Nuku, and how it was great evidence that fansubbing directly impacted sales.

Normally, sales of the first volume of any given series are the highest, and then it would decrease every volume after that. (Some people who start never finish; rarely do people jump into a series at (say) volume 3. Even if they’re introduced later, usually, if they like it enough to buy it, they go back and buy the backlog.)

However, an interesting thing happened with Nuku Nuku: Only the first volume’s worth of episodes had been fansubbed. And the sales of subsequent volumes (containing episodes that had not been fansubbed) went up, by a significant amount.

Actually, I suspect a significant fraction of Jast’s current client base are pirates, insofar as fansubbing = piracy. Look at the number of people in the anime/manga threads talking about series with no official release (posting screencaps, even) or talking about stuff that hasn’t happened yet in the official release. Anime fandom has a long history of fan translations of all kinds of things. I mean, the existence of fan translations for these games is why we’re having this conversation. How large of a community is there fan translating Bollywood films, or Russian literature?

People have done studies, and at least in the music and movie sector, pirates are usually also pretty reliable customers. They buy a lot of stuff, and also pirate a lot of stuff. I see no reason this can’t extend to the anime market; sure, there’s large swathes of fandom who never buy anything. But I’d expect if you did a survey of all the reliable customers who buy most of the Jast / MG releases, you’d find many of them are also avid followers of the fan translation scene. Most of the reliable Jast / MG customers are big fans of b-games in general, not of a specific company’s releases. Then there’s all the “XYZ game fan translated!” threads you can find if you poke around.

What does all this actually mean? Well, the first rule of Fight Club is you do not talk about Fight Club.

… In other words, I expect that the existence of a completed fan translation for a game means that many of the people who are Jast and MG’s most reilable customers have played it. Whether they went and purchased a Japanese copy of the game, or, uh, acquired it via [you do not talk about fight club], there’s a reduced chance they’ll buy it.

Biggest problem is that, it usually take years for most of stuff to get translated. People’s impatient if they want it, they will get it now.

Its been years and I still hold a grudge at Tokyopop for cancelling Ragnarok. Then I’m also mad at Dark Horse for Seraphic Feather.

People don’t give a damn which country stuff comes from what country as long as they like it.

Then I also get mad at language barrier. I bought few mangas directly from japan but then I also get mad at myself for buying them coz I can’t read japanese.

One of them is EArTh manga, its quite good, but i suspect it’ll never see the daylight. What’s more, I think the mangakun is from Brazil so that further aggravates me.

I also get mad at Microsoft for releasing stuff like Galgun there company is from usa but it sells some games only in japan so I get mad. What’s more, Xbox360’s region locked, so I’ve gonna get rid of my xbox live when the time is right.

In general I get mad at racism and language barriers.

jast has been using good strategies getting stuff that is pretty much done and adding extra touches

Hmmm… have to disagree on this part just a minor bit. There’s a rather large Bollywood subbing movement in the West. I’ve seen vendors from New York to California, selling them in Indian ran mom-and-pop stores. There’s even a Bollywood Movie Awards in the US. :shock: Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge is pretty popular for those in the know (Hollywood will probably make a US remake soon). They don’t need a fanlation community, because there’s a strong commerical community already thriving and growing. There may not be a centralized Bollywood “fanlation” forum on the Internets, but there’s a very strong Chinese blackmarket selling English translated DVD rips on Ebay…

Eroge is more niche, than the most niche markets. :frowning:

That’s actually pretty interesting. I was not aware of that. Thanks for the info.

Shool Days, huh…

Does it have any paths that DON’T include high amounts of blood, violence and dismemberment? I’m afraid I’m not really big on the whole yandere thing myself, and I pretty much only know the game/anime by reputation (nice boat etc).

I haven’t played the game but I got the impression when I researched it once a long while back that the nice boat endings were actually a very small fraction of the available outcomes. It’s just that those three or four very bad ends are what the game became famous for, and the anime went that direction. however, since it DID become famous for it, they’ve kept adding new bad ends with every new version…